Gibson Brands Forums

My older, but new to me AE LG-2

jjrpilot

Welps, I have a "New to me Guitar Day" topic!

I was surfing Youtube and somehow stumbled across the Gibson American Eagle LG2 guitar. It's a small body, all solid wood, guitar which has that classic Gibson "thump." I had to have one but the funds didn't exist as we were expecting our first kiddo. (Born on 2/26 mom and baby are doing wonderfully!)

I decided at that point to start selling items that I no longer used or needed (it also forced me to do some cleaning in the basement which my wife was thankful for.) I ended up selling a boatload of stuff here and there, and was able to pretty much scrape together cash for the guitar.

I looked on eBay, some official Gibson online dealers and lastly decided to check out Reverb. As luck would have it, there was a "mint" conditioned 2013, LG2 that was being sold by a user who lived in the next town over. Wow. After some emails back and forth, I was able to meet the gentleman and look it over.

Sometimes when people say "mint" it's not actually mint, but this guy was spot on. The guitar was in immaculate condition and had been humidified it's entire life since he bought it new. It even had the original pack of Gibson goodies that came with it...unopened.) He said that it was a true closet guitar with about maybe 10 hours of total playing time on it. He said that he just never really bonded with it and that it was time to sell.

I couldn't be happier! It's so easy to play and unlike most small body guitars, it doesn't sound boxy at all. It sounds very full and a plus that it's made of all solid wood. (Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides.) The wood chosen for this model was beautiful. Nicely grained Sitka and Mahogany. It's a 2013 model and the top has a beautiful amber-ish hue to it.

This guitar is INSANELY lightweight. For any of you that might struggle with shoulder issues etc that aren't able to handle a heavier guitar this is a must have. It sounds amazing either strumming or finger picking. For its size there's plenty of that delicious Gibson "thump" and has very thick mids and to my ears plenty of bass for its size.

After I made the purchase I went to my local guitar mom and pop store and bought a humidifier for it. I'm very fortunate to have this guitar and I think I can honestly say that this will be a "lifer" guitar.

I know there are some back and forth between brands on every forum, but I'm super thankful to now have 1 Taylor, 1 Martin and now, 1 Gibson.

Congrats. I had a love affair going with 00 size Gibsons for decades. I started off with a 1930s L-00 (back when they cost less than a new LG-2) and then acquired a 1946 LG-2 and then a 1950s CF-100. While over the years my enchantment with the smaller body Gibsons has faded I know myself well enough to know that it will eventually come roaring back. I am just going through a phase.

Welps, I have a "New to me Guitar Day" topic!

I was surfing Youtube and somehow stumbled across the Gibson American Eagle LG2 guitar. .

I couldn't be happier! It's so easy to play and unlike most small body guitars, it doesn't sound boxy at all. I It sounds amazing either strumming or finger picking. For its size there's plenty of that delicious Gibson "thump" and has very thick mids and to my ears plenty of bass for its size.

Woowee....new baby, new Eagle.....you're not going to get much sleep for a whilemsp_sleep.gif Congrats on both . Time for some pics?

My first 'real' Guitar was a Gibson small body that I scraped and saved for. Was my only guitar for nearly 40 years. May you find as much 'goodness' in yours!

Welcome Aboard!!

Bwahaha - I cannot tell you how many lawns I mowed, leaves raked, and driveways shoveled till I could scrape together enough to buy my first used small body Gibson. Was it all worth it - you betcha.

Alrighty folks! Here are some pics! I also wanted to add that I've owned some other nice Spruce topped guitars, BUT this one has the most "cross silking" of ANY spruce guitar I've ever owned. Gibson cut this wood perfectly! If you expand the pictures of the top, you should be able to see the perfect little cross silking lines! I love this guitar! I'm now a Gibson fan for life!

IxWvSnyh.jpg

yxULuM0h.jpg

SW3AR8Rh.jpg

PT9dDfwh.jpg

Kdun7mgh.jpg

G1rmHDOh.jpg

AOtYhcgh.jpg

QaKtsXih.jpg

jiJ6cMsh.jpg

Alrighty folks! Here are some pics! I also wanted to add that I've owned some other nice Spruce topped guitars, BUT this one has the most "cross silking" of ANY spruce guitar I've ever owned. Gibson cut this wood perfectly! If you expand the pictures of the top, you should be able to see the perfect little cross silking lines! I love this guitar! I'm now a Gibson fan for life!

IxWvSnyh.jpg

yxULuM0h.jpg

SW3AR8Rh.jpg

PT9dDfwh.jpg

Kdun7mgh.jpg

G1rmHDOh.jpg

AOtYhcgh.jpg

QaKtsXih.jpg

jiJ6cMsh.jpg

As another person who earned their first small body Gibson the hard way as a kid (actually, a used Epi Cortez which I still own) I'd like to compliment you on your fine guitar. That's one excellent top!

Beautiful silking on that top!!

I really like the fact that Gibson are paying more attention to neck angle these days. Really heartening to see plenty of saddle height and break angle on so many recent acoustics after it being a mixed bag for so long. Nobody wants to buy a new guitar only to find it needs a neck reset after a couple of years.

Just a note re the early version of the LG2-AE with traditional white plastic button tuners:

Kluson makes a direct replacement tuner that, imho, is functionally superior. Kluson's tuner buttons are also creamier in color, offering a but more of a vintage look.

Ordered 2 new ones this week... a Gibson 2016 LG-2 AE for myself and an Epiphone L-00 pro which I plan to surprise my daughter with for her birthday. The LG-2 is at a real good price right now, it looks and sounds great, can’t wait till it arrives. The EL-00 is a dandy guitar for the money.

Just a note re the early version of the LG2-AE with traditional white plastic button tuners:

Kluson makes a direct replacement tuner that, imho, is functionally superior. Kluson's tuner buttons are also creamier in color, offering a but more of a vintage look.

Re those Klusons a drop in replacement for the grover minis?

Ordered 2 new ones this week... a Gibson 2016 LG-2 AE for myself and an Epiphone L-00 pro which I plan to surprise my daughter with for her birthday. The LG-2 is at a real good price right now, it looks and sounds great, can’t wait till it arrives. The EL-00 is a dandy guitar for the money.

I just love the Epi EL-00s. I’ve got a 17yr old one which is the first iteration, more of an L-1 shape. Absolutely wonderful little guitar which seems to get better every time I pick it up. I bought it for £140 (including Epi hard case and Fishman Rare Earth pickup installed!) from a friend who had used it as his gigging guitar for 14yrs or so before replacing it with...an LG2 AE!

He looked after it meticulously and used it for several gigs weekly, so it’s wonderfully loose and played in, but in excellent condition. He had it boned (nut, saddle and pins) many years ago and it had a fret dress and setup just before I bought it, so it was entirely road ready. One of the best £140s I’ve ever spent!

Re those Klusons a drop in replacement for the grover minis?

Unfortunately, no.

The Klusons I'm referencing will only directly replace the earlier LG2-AE tuners, with white buttons & press-in bushings. The model number for the Klusons is #SD9005MNP.

Archived