Gibson Brands Forums

Your 65 year old mom wants to learn to play guitar

Stevi q

My Mom wants to start playing guitar.I wanna get her a guitar that she can enjoy playing and not be hard to play.I am thinking about getting her a parlour guitar .I am also thinking that electric would be easier for her to start on .I was thinking classical because the strings would be easier on her .I just don't want her starting on a wide classical neck .I almost wanna get her a fender reissue offset 24" scale duo sonic.I really want her to know the joy of picking up an acoustic first ,and then add electric later .I do have an old silver tone parlour guitar that I could fix up and give her to start on .Then after she knows a few chords and she can strum a bit in rhythm then we can go to the Sam ash or guitar center ,or a couple of local brick nn mortar shops and put a bunch of guitars in her hands so she can play them and atvtyebend of the trip she can make a decision on which one she liked /loves the most.She is the kind of woman that if she gets into guitar I can see me showing up one day and her having a les Paul custom hanging from the wall.

First, thanks for making me feel old as I have several years on your Mom. Unless the Silvertone is 100% playable I would forget that idea as it will cost you more to put in in fine playing condition than you would end up spending on any number of new guitars.

I started off in the early 1960s with an acoustic archtop. I think it is always better to start learning how to pull music out of an instrument with your fingers than with knobs. Acoustics these days play a whole lot more like electrics than they once did. Only thing I would say is that my daughter plays the uke and electric bass. I started her off on relatively cheap instruments. I wanted to see if she would stick with it before laying out any kind of serious cash. She did keep going and fairly quickly got good enough to sit in with other musicians so the quality of the instruments has gone up.

I second the Uke idea. Say 4 months to see if she is serious. Then a cheap steel stringer you can put light nylons on until her fingers get toughened up a bit. I have to believe that many who take up the guitar and then drop it, are mostly disheartened if they go straight to heavy steel strings in the standard tuning.

I would say a Taylor GS Mini or an LG2 American Eagle, depending on your funds.

Those Taylor GS Minis are real easy to play and sound real nice.

Those are great guitars. I would also suggest you look at the Martin LX guitars.

Lars

Archived