Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional

JAT

Hello, I’m new here so go easy on me please.

My dream guitar is a Les Paul Standard but being a pretty green player I am now thinking maybe a Traditional would suit me better. I don’t think I have the skill to warrant buying a Standard, in fact I know I haven’t got the skill.

A shop has a 2017 Traditional for sale second hand for £1250 which to me seems fairly reasonable. It is in Cherry Sunburst as well and in excellent condition, I have asked the shop to mail me some pictures.

Is there anything I should be aware of regarding the 2017 Trad?

Many thanks in advance, any info will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Hi Jat,

Welcome to the forum, no need to ask people to go "easy on you", just about everyone on this forum is civil and helpful.

I wouldn't worry to much about whether your skilful enough to use a certain guitar, it's whatever appeals to you. Also, the Traditional isn't an inferior guitar, it's just that Gibson don't make many if any updates to the basic Les Paul design whereas the Standard is a constantly evolving model. Simply buy the one that you like. Any information on specifics of any Les Paul just ask, you will get help.

Regards,

Ian

Hi JAT,

I found your post a bit on the funny side, no offense intended, but really, some of the highest end guitars Gibson build get sold to people who hang them on the wall as art and never play them at all.

Now, as to the guitar you should be looking at, try as many Les Pauls as you can get your hands on, and get the one that feels best to you. All guitars are just a bit different. You will find some play easier then other, some play rock solid and some play with sympathetic vibration. And then there is the neck size, what fits your hand is what is important, not the color or model, what fits you as a player.

And there is no right or wrong, it's up to you to find the ones you like.

As for me, I like guitars that I can feel the vibration while playing, it feels like the guitar is alive to me. I also like a larger round neck, because I have large hands.

Others like that rock solid feel and they say those one have better sustain.....it's all personal preference.

Anyways, try as many as you can, when you find the one that fits like a glove, you will know it....and that is the one to get....even if it is a Les Paul studio.

Many thanks for the replies.

I have only just sold my Epiphone Les Paul that I had for nigh on 20 years to help fund the Gibson purchase. She was a Korean model but she wasn't a Gibson and me being a Page fan I desperately want a Gibson.

I have been reading a lot of negative press regarding the company and I'm a bit nervous as I'm pretty much a novice. I had the Epiphone for 20 years but she sat unused for many of those due to work, kids etc.

I now have early retirement and I want to give learning the guitar a serious shot, I have a couple of acoustics which I have been learning on for the past year and I think I can now justify buying my dream guitar.

I have had a play on a Standard and a couple of Traditional models and I prefer the less complicated(to me anyway)Traditional to be honest, also being left handed is a bit of a hindrance trying out guitars. The Standard made me feel slightly inadequate strangely but the Trads both felt right and dare I say it friendlier and more forgiving. They seemed a fair bit heavier as well but that is not an issue for me, I definitely preferred the neck on the Trads, I didn't realise they were different to be honest.

I will keep you informed and I thank you again. Cheers.

I have a 2012 Traditional and love it. I paid £1200 second-hand and had to get the neck set up as whoever owned it before had tried to get the action low and buggered it up. The guitar is an actual dream now and I will never part with it. I have had a Korean Epi and there is just no comparison. Mine was an early one and looked lovely but played like a pig....As other's have said, go and play as many Les Pauls as you can find and buy the one you like the best. £1200 is a lot to drop on a guitar, so make sure you have the one you want first. Good hunting!

There are always all kinds of technical reasons for the selection of which guitar to get. But the best one for me is the one I keep looking at and have trouble taking my eyes off of it and dream of running my fingers over its silky body. I love double cut guitars and my LPDC's long necks..Which ever one you get if its a Gibson product it will be a good choice.

LPDC16WRCH1_CALLOUT_HERO.jpgLP Standard DC

This is one I keep looking at... If they had a LP Standard DC with P-90's, I would already have it.. :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I really don't see much difference between a Std and a Trad. except maybe price and the weight relief. I though Trad's are supposed to be what the Std's were, no relief.

No, most are weight relieved. 2014 was an exception and there may be other years as well. 2014 Traditionals aside, all Les Pauls from the USA line have been weight relieved since 1983 so weight relief is a "traditional" feature of Les Pauls of the last 35 years.

Today's standards have all sorts of newfangled splitting, tapping and phase options not found in Traditionals.

No, most are weight relieved. 2014 was an exception and there may be other years as well. 2014 Traditionals aside, all Les Pauls from the USA line have been weight relieved since 1983 so weight relief is a "traditional" feature of Les Pauls of the last 35 years.

Today's standards have all sorts of newfangled splitting, tapping and phase options not found in Traditionals.

I just looked and '15, '17 and '18 no relief on Trads. Gibson site does not go past 2014.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-2018.aspx

I've only gone and bought one, over the moon. Thanks everyone.

Well done!

Now the hard bit - getting down to playing it! [biggrin]

I must admit that as someone else said above, if I were in the market for a new Les Paul and assuming no funds for such fancy stuff as "true historics" etc, I'd go for a Traditional. Why? Because it is "traditional" meaning close to the original design concept.

I have a weight relived '14 Traditional and it is not light at all. It crushes my leg when I sit to play.

My 2018 Traditional is right under 9 lbs, so not too heavy. It's slightly heavier than my Standard, which is 8lbs, 4oz, I think. Unless my scale is lying to me, my Tribute (9 hole relief) is heavier than the Traditional.

My 2018 Traditional is right under 9 lbs, so not too heavy. It's slightly heavier than my Standard, which is 8lbs, 4oz, I think. Unless my scale is lying to me, my Tribute (9 hole relief) is heavier than the Traditional.

All scales lie ask women.

I have a 2017 Traditional. It is a great fiddle. No weight relief, and hand wired with orange drop caps, where the standard has a PCB and weight relief. The standard is more modern while the traditional is what we use to call a standard back in the day. mine is over 10 lbs, and it is hard on the back, but it sustains forever and has an all around great tone.

post-71371-000042900 1520401568_thumb.jpg

I have tried but it keeps saying the file is too big, can anyone tell me how to upload pictures from an iPhone please ?

I'm new and read the thread on how to post pics and it did not work for me, or I would post one of my LP. I am not computer savvy.

I'm new and read the thread on how to post pics and it did not work for me, or I would post one of my LP. I am not computer savvy.

Go to Imgur.com and setup an account. Upload your photos. Choose the one you want, click on it. Click on the "BBCode" copy icon,. Then just paste that in your post.

Archived