Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird 2017

James Owl Smith

Hi everyone,

Many interesting topics can be found on Gibson Forums here. Anyway, i play a Hummingbird Cherry Sunburst 2017 and i believe this is the very best guitar i've ever heard, being kept in mind that i have a Martin D 28 as well. I would be delighted to hear what my fellow Gibson acoustic players think about the Hummingbird 2017 and to share some opinions with them regarding this beautiful guitar.

With thanks.

Peace.

As we know the 2017 Hummingbird is a torrefied guitar. I think we had at least 5 here since the version was released in '16.

Most of then have flown further, but they were celebrated while it lasted. 1 or 2 might remain, , , and sure, let's hear from them.

One of the topics about these highly alluring guitars was how they would open up over time. Is there a chance it'll turn weird (do look up the threads).

Remind you that a 'normal' Bird gets significantly looser during 5 to 8 years. Especially heard and felt in the bass, yet of course an overall phenomenon.

The 3 fried HB's I've tried were good and taken straight from the shop wall. Even had one home for 24 hours and experimented with strings.

In the department for details, I noticed that broken in and tuned down steel provided almost no bass sustain on this particular ex.

Aha, , , but very clear to detect as I A/B/C'd with my 2 2012 TV's (all 3 w. Masterbuilt bronze lights).

When I told the sales-guy while returning the flier, he looked at me with doubt. Hahe, , , frankly, I respect the man, but what did he know. .

I'm still attracted to new ones; they also look stunning. But it would take something very special to exchange what I got and nursed for 5 blessed years.

Enjoy your square - and let's hear it if possible

Bona-fide Bird lover here. I’ve had four and still own two (a 1990 six string and a 2005 Custom Shop twelve string), plus a Dove in the extended aviary. I’ve played great Birds from all eras, the modern ones are superb but I’ve yet to take a stroll along Torrefication Terrace.

As we know the 2017 Hummingbird is a torrefied guitar. I think we had at least 5 here since the version was released in '16.

Most of then have flown further, but they were celebrated while it lasted. 1 or 2 might remain, , , and sure, let's hear from them.

One of the topics about these highly alluring guitars was how they would open up over time. Is there a chance it'll turn weird (do look up the threads).

Remind you that a 'normal' Bird gets significantly looser during 5 to 8 years. Especially heard and felt in the bass, yet of course an overall phenomenon.

The 3 fried HB's I've tried were good and taken straight from the shop wall. Even had one home for 24 hours and experimented with strings.

In the department for details, I noticed that broken in and tuned down steel provided almost no bass sustain on this particular ex.

Aha, , , but very clear to detect as I A/B/C'd with my 2 2012 TV's (all 3 w. Masterbuilt bronze lights).

When I told the sales-guy while returning the flier, he looked at me with doubt. Hahe, , , frankly, I respect the man, but what did he know. .

I'm still attracted to new ones; they also look stunning. But it would take something very special to exchange what I got and nursed for 5 blessed years.

Enjoy your square - and let's hear it if possible

Sorry, my HB is definetely not torrefied: this is a Standard model and quite exactly a Heritage Cherry Sunburst 2017. Please, see this: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017/Hummingbird-Standard.aspx

Bona-fide Bird lover here. I’ve had four and still own two (a 1990 six string and a 2005 Custom Shop twelve string), plus a Dove in the extended aviary. I’ve played great Birds from all eras, the modern ones are superb but I’ve yet to take a stroll along Torrefication Terrace.

As i wrote previously on the topic you initiated regarding Torrefication, i certainly am able to understand your interest in the sound delivered by fried guitars. The fact remains i feel much frightened by torrefication because this is an artificial and human process, not a natural process that nothing but time could ever deliver. How would torrefied guitars look and/or feel and/or behave in year 2028, or 2038? Frankly, i wonder... Once again, this is my personal opinion. On the other hand, i'm glad to hear your words regarding modern HB's. With thanks and compliments as regarding the music you're making besides.

When man meets the right 'bird, it's a veritable Thanksgiving. When man meets the wrong 'bird, it's the 3rd week of recycled Thanksgiving leftovers.

Perfectly true: i've tried one three years ago and it did sound terrible and unbalanced, let's forget it; then i tried another one on the very last year and purchased this beautiful lady immediately. It did change my life!

Archived