Gibson Brands Forums

What gauge of strings are on your firebird

bigtim

Always had 9 gauge on mine. Buzzed and rattled too much. Threw on a set of 10 gauge and it performed much better and settled down. Thinking I may go with 11 next to see how they do. So out of curiosity with the other firebird owners here, do you put a heavier set on it than your other guitars?

NYXL 10's on my bird. I use 10's on all my guitars. 9's have always felt to slinky to me and I tend to be overly aggressive with vibrato and bends with the 9's too. Firebirds. Got to be the sexist guitar design Gibson ever released imho. Love em'.

Always had 9 gauge on mine. Buzzed and rattled too much. Threw on a set of 10 gauge and it performed much better and settled down. Thinking I may go with 11 next to see how they do. So out of curiosity with the other firebird owners here, do you put a heavier set on it than your other guitars?

Interesting!

I've always had 10s (heavier on my jazz box) but next string change I'm going lighter - down to 9s or maybe even 8s.

Gibson Brite Wire 10's on my Firebird. I use Gibson 10's on all my solid bodies now (though used to use Ernie Ball 11's for years).

I use Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 12's on acoustics and D'addario 12's jazz light strings on my archtops.

I don't have a Firebird but a close cousin the Explorer as well as LP's SG's and BluesHawks. I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's !0 thru 46 on all my guitars, I have used several different brands over the years but just standardized on Ernie Ball as they were always available. I didn't read here that anyone was tweaking the truss rod to compensate for changing from heavy to light gauge strings or visa versa? The truss rod should be adjusted for even minor changes like going from 10's to 9's so you don't get fret buzz..There is always a battle between string tension and the truss rod.

Not to mention how string gauge changes effect the intonation and bridge height adjustments.

Archived