Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a new guitar...

jannusguy2

..and the seller decided to ship via USPS without asking my preference. The guitar has disappeared, the tracking info has not been updated in 6 days and the seller thinks I should be "patient". It was purchased through eBay and paid via PayPal so, there's some protection there. And, I was able to add it to my Heritage account as well. As far as my patience, I've escalated a complaint through Paypal to refund demand status but that could take 30 days. I've bought and sold several guitars over the web and never had an issue. Leave it to the USPS to break the streak.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the good things I'd say about how the postal service has handled my guitars, there have been 3 or 4 that got put aside to await a different truck and seem to have gotten stuck. They all got unstuck after a frustratingly long wait, but it usually means he sent it via 'standard shipping', what used to be parcel post. By truck, in other words.

If it makes you feel better try phoning the last known PO and find out where it went next. Somehow, reading the track # to a postal worker somewhere seems to move the pile.

For all the good things I'd say about how the postal service has handled my guitars, there have been 3 or 4 that got put aside to await a different truck and seem to have gotten stuck. They all got unstuck after a frustratingly long wait, but it usually means he sent it via 'standard shipping', what used to be parcel post. By truck, in other words.

If it makes you feel better try phoning the last known PO and find out where it went next. Somehow, reading the track # to a postal worker somewhere seems to move the pile.

I've called them 3 times and they have zero info, zero idea where it might be. And yes, the cheap mthrfckr sent it "Parcel Select". At least with the Paypal action, my $3K in funds are frozen until some kind of determination is reached.

Sorry to hear that.

I think JZ may be right - stuck on a truck somewhere. The USPS tracking is pretty horrible, but the amounts of numbers spinning around the place - you could almost forgive them.

Now I ordered a gizmo a few weeks back and the only delivery choice to Australia was...USPS. I would pay more for Fedex if I could. So package left the US in a blazing hurry...somewhere in California to somewhere in California to somewhere in California and on and on to the California hub, then the airport and take off....then silence.

I mentioned this to the Better Half and that I think it was lost, to be told that USPS hands over to Australia Post at the airport here for delivery this end - and she said to look up the same tracking number on Australia Post site...and there it was! Thanks for telling me, guys! Out for delivery today, it said....came about 9 hours later, thanks for the wait, driver.

The Australia Post site said it was delivered. But I checked USPS again...nothing.

So don't give up on it yet. The numbers may be lost or transferred but the package is still winding its way to you. [unsure]

BluesKing777.

Thumbs up for PP and Ebay protection. Stressful and aggravating, though. Good luck.

Your fellow internet guitar shoppers will learn from this.

If he has a good rating he's probably as concerned as you are, J.

3K, nice guitar huh?

And then...there's the weather. If the guitar intersects with any of the storms that are out there it may sit a while.

Grrr.

I went through the same thing last month....with a twist. The eBay seller said the guitar was damaged at

the shipping dock but could not provide a tracking number. We all know that a tracking number is issued

when the shipper receives the package. Thirty days later, eBay would not make good on the "guaranteed

refund" because they said it was PayPal's problem. PayPal wanted another 10 days to investigate. I

called my credit card company and they immediately credited my account for the full amount. If the seller

were to ever issue a refund, they would reverse their credit to me. Long story longer, my credit card

company is pursuing the seller. Ebay and PayPal are doing nothing. Thank goodness for buyer protection.

Bummer. Finally find a good one and the guy sends it via the people who bring you Junk Mail ! I assume it is the responsibility of the seller to pack, insure and ship the item, and if you don't receive it, or it is damaged - it's all his responsibility? Maybe this is the first guitar he's sold, and up until now has only sold dog collars on EBay.

I have been there too. How far what state does the seller live in and what state are you in? Parcel should not be anymore than 12 days. Good luck

Seller in N.J. and I'm in Fla. Would have been 3 days max via Fedex or UPS. Who ships a $3K guitar via parcel post without checking with the buyer first? I can't wait to see how it was packaged.

Bummer. Finally find a good one and the guy sends it via the people who bring you Junk Mail ! I assume it is the responsibility of the seller to pack, insure and ship the item, and if you don't receive it, or it is damaged - it's all his responsibility? Maybe this is the first guitar he's sold, and up until now has only sold dog collars on EBay.

He had a 100% rating on eBay and had shipped guitars among other things as well. I did get it onto my Heritage policy for transit coverage so, if eBay, the seller or PayPal, try to screw me, my last resort is that instrument policy.

I went through the same thing last month....with a twist. The eBay seller said the guitar was damaged at

the shipping dock but could not provide a tracking number. We all know that a tracking number is issued

when the shipper receives the package. Thirty days later, eBay would not make good on the "guaranteed

refund" because they said it was PayPal's problem. PayPal wanted another 10 days to investigate. I

called my credit card company and they immediately credited my account for the full amount. If the seller

were to ever issue a refund, they would reverse their credit to me. Long story longer, my credit card

company is pursuing the seller. Ebay and PayPal are doing nothing. Thank goodness for buyer protection.

Well, I used my PayPal Mastercard attached to my acct. I have made no effort to reach out to eBay, so, not sure how this would play out if it were to go that far. Glad you didn't get burned!

I had one damaged guitar via ebay via usps but I think it was damaged before it shipped and the seller was scamming the post office. PP bailed me out of that one.

Last year I bought one via ebay via UK via usps. The seller just wrapped the guitar case in bubble wrap, no box. No problem. The exposed handle made it easy to maneuver.

I'm pretty sure Ebay is where you should start the process. Not that PP won't support you, but Ebay is the contractor. File the case with them when you're sure you want to get out of the deal.

I'm pretty sure Ebay is where you should start the process. Not that PP won't support you, but Ebay is the contractor. File the case with them when you're sure you want to get out of the deal.

From my experience, go directly to PayPal....not eBay. PayPal is the money side of the transaction. Ebay is merely the marketplace and they

will pass it off to PayPal anyway. You will spend a considerable amount of time speaking to someone half way around the world with PayPal,

but the sooner you make a claim with them, the sooner you can get a resolution date. Hold them to that date. Best of luck with your transaction.

I know it is frustrating.

I will never deal with eBay after twice having attempted scam purchases for some of my expensive cameras and lenses. I will only purchase from reputable brick and mortar establishments who preferably will ship fed-ex. On some of my medical needs, the suppliers will only ship ups and the UPS shipments get handed off to USPS and they do not deliver packages to apartments, I need to have someone pick the package up as I can no longer drive (blind in one eye).

I've shipped guitars with USPS since many years and had always good experience with them. Just one time I had an incident with the shipping time. I dropped off a guitar and the clerk at the USPS office told me it will take about 3-4 days. It actually took >2 weeks. Tracking said the package is in Atlanta( I shipped it to Phoenix AZ), but nobody could tell me why it's there and stuck there already over a week. I was sure that guitar is gone.

A week later it arrived at the buyer, no damage all was fine.

one of my best buds does quite a bit of eBay transactions, last few years now, he's been using USPS and he's had pretty good luck... so far.

I had ordered something from Amazon a few weeks ago (A dampit for my uke).. USPS was the carrier, it was supposed to arrive on feb 9th.

Vanished somewhere in new york. Finally contacted the seller, they shipped another one which did arrive.

I had a couple pedals shipped to me USPS Priority and they stopped updating the tracking. Then showed delivered. Two days later I got them. That was November.

I just had a pickguard shipped USPS Priority and no trouble at all.

Good luck jannusguy.

rct

For Parcel Post they wait till there is room somewhere on the truck and then it gets shipped. All the people that paid high dollar for Priority and 1st Class which may be the same thing gets shipped first. It will get there just give it a few more days. The PO is horrible about tracking. I've had stuff a few days after I received it finally get a notice it arrived.

For Parcel Post they wait till there is room somewhere on the truck and then it gets shipped. All the people that paid high dollar for Priority and 1st Class which may be the same thing gets shipped first. It will get there just give it a few more days. The PO is horrible about tracking. I've had stuff a few days after I received it finally get a notice it arrived.

This ^^^. The seller wanted to go "low and slow", and unfortunately that is what happens. The buyer then pays the price of the extra waiting.

I've had great service with USPS recently on a guitar & three cases. I'm guessing they must have all been shipped via the priority option.

Additionally, I only have a PO Box, so parcels are held at our small post office, alleviating the brown truck waiting game & drop-off issues.

Archived