Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a new guitar...

jannusguy2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally arrived today in one piece. 13 days from N.J. to Fla. Ridiculous. Now my only issue is it's a Martin CS advertised as an OM-21 Special (and according to the build sheet) but it turns out it's a 00 14 fret. Not a 000/OM. So, how do they get away with calling it an OM when it's actually smaller? Sigh. A whole other kettle of fish. Still, a very nice guitar and I got a good deal on it.

Good deal. That 15 day mark seems to be a 'standard shipping' trademark. My postmaster told me the Fla-NY corridor is full of stop and stay points for re-shuffling truck payloads. Did the seller not insure it to save a buck as well? I've seen that before too.

Anyway, pour a tall one and pick your stress away.

Phew!

Cancel the bloodhounds.

The whole episode is a good remnder, for me, that I am never doing the delivery thing again. The delivery people here are either having a big laugh, or overworked but to the point of “useless, it is not working out”

If I could just get the local acoustic merchant to do trades!.....(they have a 58 J45).

BluesKing777.

If I could just get the local acoustic merchant to do trades!.....(they have a 58 J45).

BluesKing777.

You might want to jump on that one if it's in good shape. Those mid/late 1950's J-45, J-50, SJ, and CW's can be really, really good guitars. Nice comfortable neck, tapered but non-scalloped bracing, really versatile guitars.

That J-50 that Gillian Welch plays is a '56.

You might want to jump on that one if it's in good shape. Those mid/late 1950's J-45, J-50, SJ, and CW's can be really, really good guitars. Nice comfortable neck, tapered but non-scalloped bracing, really versatile guitars.

That J-50 that Gillian Welch plays is a '56.

No money! Guitar fund exsquishiated. <_<

I said they won't trade, but they do, just not to anyone's benefit. If you sell them a guitar, they will give you 10% of its market value and I think they look up the lowest price on the internet - if you want to trade a guitar in, they will give you 50% of its market value. (about the same as the pawn shop, isn't it?) [cursing]

Lucky it is not that L-00 at Norms! Then some would be sacrificed at 50%!

BluesKing777.

Finally arrived today in one piece. 13 days from N.J. to Fla. Ridiculous. Now my only issue is it's a Martin CS advertised as an OM-21 Special (and according to the build sheet) but it turns out it's a 00 14 fret. Not a 000/OM. So, how do they get away with calling it an OM when it's actually smaller? Sigh. A whole other kettle of fish. Still, a very nice guitar and I got a good deal on it.

Thank goodness it finally got to you. I've been fortunate and have never had postal delays yet - touch wood - but I reckon it'd be a real bummer especially when forking out big dollars.

Now my only issue is it's a Martin CS advertised as an OM-21 Special (and according to the build sheet) but it turns out it's a 00 14 fret. Not a 000/OM. So, how do they get away with calling it an OM when it's actually smaller?

Lovely guitar, for sure.

I played a 1970 00-18 for twenty+ years, and without probing internet photos to be sure, I'd say the upper body is smaller than the standard 00 shape (assuming the lower bout measures out as a standard 00).

Regardless, to my eyes, the guitar is beautifully proportioned!

Lovely guitar, for sure.

I played a 1970 00-18 for twenty+ years, and without probing internet photos to be sure, I'd say the upper body is smaller than the standard 00 shape (assuming the lower bout measures out as a standard 00).

Regardless, to my eyes, the guitar is beautifully proportioned!

This is an homage to a 1937 0021 but I believe the dimensions are standard 00 (edit: I checked and they are Martin standard 00 dimensions). I really didn't care for my L00 and turned it loose but in retrospect, that may have had to do with the tonewoods. This 00 has quite a bit more depth than the Gibson did and I'm thinking it's the Madrose. Anyway, I'll keep it a while and see if it stands the test of time.

Archived