Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson financial problems...(2)

Run

could be all the unsold stock in Canada... our big retailer is jammed with nos and high price examples( many discounted ) so, to be kind to G, get buying people !

There is a nugget of wisdom in here that references a part of the market as "purists" that pursue the older vintage models and do not embrace some of the modern innovations. Difficult - on the one hand you have the market buyer with the disposable income pursuing your previously sold product (used/vintage) and on the other hand the younger newer market is seemingly dwindling for a host of reasons.

Don't know what the solution(s) may be - perhaps the drive to diversify into additional electronic company offerings is well thought out for the enterprise as a whole.

I wonder if the acoustic side of the business might see some success if they dabbled into the same market being targeted by the PreWar guitar makers. Make something using the old designs and methods, make them look old, worn and played, but being reliably new instruments.

I would love o buy a vintage J-45 but am terrified of all the unknown problems - I'd just as soon buy a new one that just looked and sounded old. And I have the resources to pay a bit of a premium for that.

Dunno, just rambling, but I think there are ways for the acoustic end of the company to laser focus and exploit some of the "pursuit" market they are frustrated with that simply doesn't buy as much new product as needed to keep the business model humming.

I'm rooting for the company's success.

Imho, Henry blaming "purists" rings about as hollow as blaming dealers.

Is there an ounce of truth in there? Sure. But are these the game changers that have drug his company to the doorstep of a meltdown? It seems doubtful, as others continue to find their way through the same maze.

As they reached a more financially stable period of their lives, these purists who want traditional specs & appointments have probably been buying a significant majority of both new and used Gibsons for the past few decades. We are talking about a product that is expensive, and typically out of reach for the kids Henry would like to attract. The purists aren't quite in the grave yet, and HJ should be thankful they're still out there buying his high priced instruments. If he's going to hit home runs with the kids, it'll probably have to be in the Epiphone price range.

So instead of pointing fingers at dealers, and then at purists, his next move might be to stand in front of a mirror, raise his hand, and point towards it. There may still be a few viable options to salvage this, but he needs to stop wasting time with the blame game, and get to work. The clock is ticking.

Henry is speaking the truth in my opinion. His biggest competition has been the vintage guitar market for years. That’s why he’s stuck with the classic models and reissues. The article also correctly opines about Norlin almost ruining Gibson and those of us who followed that know it had to do with Norlin focusing on cost-cutting on all of the great models that Henry restored to their present greatness. And, now the bond holders or at least some want to install a bean counter CEO, just like Norlin did? All of us should be rooting for Henry to obtain a new group of investors as he says he is, like the actual Bloomberg article (not the summary/opinion article) references.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

on the one hand you have the market buyer with the disposable income pursuing your previously sold product (used/vintage) and on the other hand the younger newer market is seemingly dwindling for a host of reasons.

Maybe they need to do a guitar buy-back (like a stock buy-back) and take all the vintage Gibsons off the market? [biggrin]

Whoa. Henry J does not impress me as a guitarist..........of that I am sure!

Creditors want a new CEO before a rescue. That doesn't sound good for the current management team. And there are others waiting in the wings for an opportunity......Chinese consortium biding their time....... While it appears likely that Gibson as a brand will continue, who captains the ship after the dust settles is another matter.............

....admit that the waters around you have grown and accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone.

If your time to you is worth savin' then you better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone for the times they are a-changin'.

"One Definition of Insanity is to Keep Doing the Same Thing and Expect a Different Result.?

Sort of like practicing the same song every day and expecting it to sound better? ;)

Sal is very active here and very well schooled on details pertaining to Gibson.

about this topic... I would say we have successfully beat this entire story line to a pulp multiple times.

we need to move on,, my hunch tells me Gibson will still be around when most of us are long gone...

If it wasnt for us the purists. Gibson could of stayed dormant for a very long time. Also. Playing with new ideas is good. But it would be cool to have prevoius input on what us as gibson buyers would like and not like. I bought heavy in the early 90s cause i liked was being built and so on. In the 2000s it changed when reissues of nothing were being reashed. Henry. If it wasnt for us the purist. You would of been peddling a dead horse. My brother hates gibson electrics. Nothing but issue after issue soured him fast. And him as a band player required something of quality that would work for him. Go back to the 90s and start over. Quit competing with others as there in a different league. I myself does not deal with greed. No way no how.

• 2 weeks later...

"made in mexico" may be next....

Or, more likely Gibson made by Epiphone if a hedgefund or bond manager has their way. Ie. “Gibson Guitars, one of the Epiphone Brands. “Hey, they all look the same anyway, no one will notice” said the young Bond/Hedgefund manager.

Let’s hope not.

Here’s rooting for Henry!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived