Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Advanced jumbo luthiers choice (Adi/MADI) Help....

Bronzestar

That's a nice looking AJ.

The listing says specifically that it was built by Ren, but his signature is not on the label, so unless the guitar is signed elsewhere--like the underside of the top, which should be visible using a mirror--you probably can't definitively say it was "custom built by Ren Ferguson", unless Ren confirms it.

The Luthier's Choice models usually incorporate higher-end woods--the Madagascar back, sides, and fingerboard, in this case. They might also use the Luthier's Choice neck shape, which is a bit wider and flatter in sectional shape than more standard Gibson neck profiles, and is not necessarily for everyone.

They would typically have nominal new retail prices 50% or so higher than the typical "production" model of the same guitar, but I have no idea what that price might have been in 2008, nor of the current value. We know that prices for both new and used Gibsons are substantially higher. The used price shown translates into about $5150 USD today, which seems pretty high to me.

Someone here may know more about this particular AJ run.

That's a nice looking AJ.

The listing says specifically that it was built by Ren, but his signature is not on the label, so unless the guitar is signed elsewhere--like the underside of the top, which should be visible using a mirror--you probably can't definitively say it was "custom built by Ren Ferguson", unless Ren confirms it.

The Luthier's Choice models usually incorporate higher-end woods--the Madagascar back, sides, and fingerboard, in this case. They might also use the Luthier's Choice neck shape, which is a bit wider and flatter in sectional shape than more standard Gibson neck profiles, and is not necessarily for everyone.

They would typically have nominal new retail prices 50% or so higher than the typical "production" model of the same guitar, but I have no idea what that price might have been in 2008, nor of the current value. We know that prices for both new and used Gibsons are substantially higher. The used price shown translates into about $5150 USD today, which seems pretty high to me.

Someone here may know more about this particular AJ run.

Thx very much nick for the fast response!

Yes, they want 4960 Dollar for it and the guitar is not mind. Bad scratches on the sides but only in the finish. But sound really good. I think I like the sound so much cause it reminds me on my Authentic 41, which has the same materials :) Madi/Adi

I have a similar guitar from 2007, adi/madi but with ebony fretboard and bridge, called AJ Supreme. I bought it fairly cheap, due to it having a repaired headstock crack. It is the rawest of my guitars. It is incredibly loud, and not the politest sounding guitar. I like it a lot, but see it more as a cool sounding guitar, and not necessarily the one I would keep if only allowed to keep one (keeping only one would in my case not be ”the best” one, but more the best compromise, if that makes sense).

Lars

How deep are the scratches? Could they be polished out?

The AJ's are nice guitars, if that's the one you like go get it.

I really don’t know what the former owner has done with that sides of the guitar. I think 80% can be buffed out but that will be fore sure extra costs at a luthier :( don’t know if the sound will change a bit!?

I have a similar guitar from 2007, adi/madi but with ebony fretboard and bridge, called AJ Supreme. I bought it fairly cheap, due to it having a repaired headstock crack. It is the rawest of my guitars. It is incredibly loud, and not the politest sounding guitar. I like it a lot, but see it more as a cool sounding guitar, and not necessarily the one I would keep if only allowed to keep one (keeping only one would in my case not be ”the best” one, but more the best compromise, if that makes sense).

Lars

Thx Lars. Read some of your older threads while you were searching for an AJ like that. Funny :)

Nice to hear you still have it and like it !

Lars

My 2002 AJ was very much the same. Barky, VERY loud and aggressive, and not the all-rounder I’d hoped it would be. Very cool guitar mind you, I’m an AJ fan and can’t wait to get my hands on my new Maple AJ that’s waiting for me in the US. I think Maple on an AJ will suit what I do much better than RW.

Archived