Gibson Brands Forums

natural finish

jvi

last year I grabbed my first natural top gibson in years I and am amazed that the finish seems to not show prints and smudges ( as much ) as all my sunbursts gits have done.I love a sunburst but the natural sure is an easier clean for me on the j 29,( hot breath and cloth ), even with light on it the smudges seem to appear much less often or intense, could it be an ultra thin finish or just the fact dark shows more ? cheers j

Dark definitely shows any marks more...I love a burst but have ended up with a ratio of 4:2 in favour of natural finishes across my Gibsons. Much easier to clean than the dark bursts. My J45 is a cherry burst and my Hummingbird 12 is an amber burst, so neither of them are the really dark fingerprint magnet bursts like my old SJ200!

All of my acoustics are natural finish. I've never been a fan of dark sunbursts & would much rather be able to see as much of the wood as possible.

And as an extra bonus, yes, natural finishes can take a bit of a beating & still look rather pristine.

Archived