Gibson Brands Forums

humbucker pickup springs

wrench87

from what i have seen online, the humbucker springs are the same length. i found out yesterday when switcing back to the stock plastic rings that my bridge springs are 1/2 the length of the neck ones, will this have any effect on sound quality?. i broke a string so i have to go back in, i just want to make sure it is right. does anyone have any opinions?.[/img]http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/stella63/th_hbhscg.jpg

The only thing I'd be worried about is if you have too much "play" in the bridge pickup from less spring tension which might cause some kind of vibration noise (low "woofy" feedback at high volume). I used get that from one of mine because of that, but if you have no problems don't sweat it.

H-Bomb

In a pinch I've even used springs out of a ball point pen. It is correct that you do want a certain amount of firm downward tension on the mounting tab. If need be you can stretch the spring out a bit, but it's better to get the right size.

• 6 years later...

couldn't weak springs cause the bridge pickup to squeal when using a bit of gain. I have this problem and when I press slightly on the bobbin side, the squeal stops.

Yes, they can. They also may rattle at certain notes.

Archived