Gibson Brands Forums

2007 ES 335 With P90's

upnorth

I Just picked up this guitar and I'm looking for some info on it. From what I've found online Gibson did a very limited run on these in 2007 (Serial # is 2007, I changed the knobs as well). That being said, the information about this guitar is also "very limited", including Gibson directly. I've owned a couple of 335's with humbuckers in the past but this one seems like the quality is better. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

UN

NhmbAKa.jpg

I Just picked up this guitar and I'm looking for some info on it. From what I've found online Gibson did a very limited run on these in 2007 (Serial # is 2007, I changed the knobs as well). That being said, the information about this guitar is also "very limited", including Gibson directly. I've owned a couple of 335's with humbuckers in the past but this one seems like the quality is better. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

UN

NhmbAKa.jpg

Outstanding!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] Congratulations! She's a real beauty!! [love][biggrin]

CB

Yep, shims and pole screws on a dogear. I needed to raise the bridge so I used a piece of leftover fiberboard from an amp build to cut and shape a shim, it was just the right amount of lift it needed to get it balanced closer to the neck PU.

UN

onpdxTu.jpg

Lovely guitar!

Obviously the 335, originally, never came with P-90s but Why The Hell Not?

Not that it's any business of mine but I'd change those bloody awful witch-hats back to whatever it came with as stock.........

Pip.

...Gibson did a very limited run on these in 2007...

...this one seems like the quality is better...

Just had a quick look online to try to find out more. As you say; there's not much info out there about them but there are quite a few youtube clips.

It would seem that Gibson release the P-90 equipped ES 335 periodically in small numbers. 2011/12 seems to be the most commonly talked-about. Is your 'board ebony or dark rosewood? The pictures of similar instruments I've seen online from a quick google all have rosewood 'boards but none of those others were from 2007 so who knows? Interestingly Gibson also released an ES 355 / P-90 which, as might be expected, did have an ebony 'board.

You mention that it seems to be better quality than the ones you had before. Is your current one a Custom Shop release, do you know? The ones I've seen have all been CS so that might explain the greater attention to detail.

P.

Use your model number to find out more. Unfortunately, the factory sticker may or may not have the full model number on it. Gibson will give you specs (and model #) if you write them. You said Gibson told you something, I'm guessing they gave you some specs? I'm not sure what else you would be looking for. Except for some pre-stated limited runs, Gibson does not divulge production numbers. "Limited Run" really doesn't tell you much, other than it is not as extensive as non-Limited Run.

(FWIW, the board does not look like ebony to me, but...)

The fretboard is rosewood, must have been the camera angle. The model # is HB003m, (serial # 01787714) on the COA. I did run across a post this morning on this site from 2008 about these guitars that didn't get far. I know the 2011/2012's that were made after these had tapped p90's. (I don't understand that concept) These don't.

UN

...I know the 2011/2012's that were made after these had tapped p90's. (I don't understand that concept) These don't...

Coil-tapping effectively reduces, electronically, the number of turns of the p'up's coil which are used. During the winding process an output 'line' is taken from the coil about half-way through the wind-cycle and another at the end of the wind. Switching from one configuration to the other allows an instant cut / boost of power output.

It could be useful, for instance, if you use it 'tapped' whilst playing rhythm and when you come to the lead break you can get full-power at the push of a knob.

Pip.

I can see the advantage of that with humbuckers, just wondered about single coils.

I might be mistaken but I believe that coil-tapping is pretty much the single-coil equivalent of coil-splitting (there being no coil-split option with only a single coil).

Pip.

I might be mistaken but I believe that coil-tapping is pretty much the single-coil equivalent of coil-splitting (there being no coil-split option with only a single coil).

Pip.

Not sure if it's relevant but a previous incarnation of the Kinman "noiseless" P90s had a "wire tap" of a sort which enabled the switching between in phase and out of phase when both pickups were in use (I think it may have been serial / parallel switching).

I don't think the present incarnation of the Kinman P90 set has this option.

Guest Farnsbarns

Not sure if it's relevant but a previous incarnation of the Kinman "noiseless" P90s had a "wire tap" of a sort which enabled the switching between in phase and out of phase when both pickups were in use (I think it may have been serial / parallel switching).

I don't think the present incarnation of the Kinman P90 set has this option.

Those are not really features of pickups, they're features of the circuit the pickup connects to. Any pickups can be connected series or parallel and in or out of phase or to a switch to allow for changing.

Those are not really features of pickups, they're features of the circuit the pickup connects to. Any pickups can be connected series or parallel and in or out of phase or to a switch to allow for changing.

Oh well, I never did understand guitar / amp electrics.

Oh well, I never did understand guitar / amp electrics.

P90's are large single coil pickups that at times are effected by 60 cycle hum, specially when you kick in an overdrive. P90 "Noiseless" pickups normally have a second Phantom Coil built in to cancel the 60 cycle hum like a humbucker, but still sound like a P90. So since the Noiseless P90's have a second coil (Phantom Coil) you can use a coil tapping switch to shut off the Phantom Coil and get just the main P90 coil sound.

To maximize the sound of a P90, shims can be used to raise the p90 housing cover as close to the strings as possible, in addition adjust the pole screws to about 1/8" from the strings.

Very nice 335 by the way, very unusual for it to have P90's...

Archived