Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie from central Mass

Trinaldo33

Hello, been a big fan off Gibson's for as long as I can remember.I am picking up guitar again after a 45 year hiatus and am working thru it all over again.

I have recently bought myself a new Gretsch 5420T orange stain with a bigsby and a new Fender American Pro strat with an all rose wood neck. Plus a Fender Blues Junior amp and a Vyper 30 as well.

I am looking to by a Gibson Les Paul and have a few questions concerning the differences between the models,such as classic, custom, traditional and HD versions.

Also, the differences in price and how that affects each model or version.

Hope I'm not asking to much on my first post?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, you have a couple of nice guitars in the Gretsch and Fender. I had a very long playing layoff too so welcome back to playing again. There are those here that know way more then me who can answer any questions you might have, the Gibson guitars you mentioned are pretty far apart from one another in cost and build. The custom being the most expensive. I don't know how old my price list is but the custom I have is $6,665. And up. Then down away is the Traditional for $2,879. So there's a huge gap in price there. Then moving down is the Classic at $2,279. A Studio is $1,229. And all are very nice guitars I would suggest going to your local guitar shop and pull down these Gibsons and start playing them to find what trips your trigger. There going to sound different with different pickups and even the same models may play different from another so it's all about what you fall in love with and have to have! Also I believe Gibson prices are different from what I quoted now. I just wanted to give you a ballpark figure. Happy hunting!msp_thumbup.gif

welcome back to playing, like riding a bike..

Off the top of my head...

Traditional LPs are basically what we used to know as Standards.

HDs are LPs with all the recent innovations that a lot don't like (auto tuners, wider neck, zero fret, to name a few)

Classics, there seems to be quite a few different variations, often times tho they have P90s. (someone else can thread in and clear this up if I'm wrong.)

A Custom LP is has more bling, double binding on the body, more inlays at the head stock, different inlays on the fret board, and the fret boards, not sure, may not always be rosewood. (Ebony, Richlite...)

Tributes are lower priced, with a satin/or worn finish. Nice buys for the money.

I'm in Central Mass too (Leominster).. where you at?

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm in Millbury, just south of Worcester. When I mentioned I'm getting back to it, it feels like I really never started. Just sounds like a whole lot of noise all over again. I need to do some more homework on the LP's. Kidblast, are you the guy who has a bunch of stuff on craigslist? Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm in Millbury, just south of Worcester. When I mentioned I'm getting back to it, it feels like I really never started. Just sounds like a whole lot of noise all over again. I need to do some more homework on the LP's. Kidblast, are you the guy who has a bunch of stuff on craigslist? Thanks again for the info.

AH sure, I know where Millbury is, I've a very good friend who lives in your quaint little town, and another bud in Sutton, a neighboring town.

It's a nice quiet, rural area, I like it out that way.

and no, that would not be me. I very seldom use Craigslist. ya have to laugh at some of the spammers and hacks that prowl out there.

Archived