Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan MagMic pickup...anyone tried it?

Jinder

I’m not a huge fan of mag pickups but I saw someone playing live with one of these recently and was really impressed. Have any of you fine folks tried/borrowed/owned one? Would love to hear some real world experiences.

I have faffed with soundhole acoustic mics for a long time until the more recent sophisticated under-bridge and pre-amp technology.....

I don't own one of these SD's....but can report that on hearing the best tone ever through an indifferent PA....I quizzed the musician and he confirmed it was one of these loaded into a vintage Guild with no special fx or anything.....

Hope this helps...

V

:-({|=

There was a Seymor Duncan Mag-Mic in the J-45 I bought that used to belong to David Hidalgo of Los-Lobos. From the limited time I left it in and played with it, was fine, but I liked my Fishman Rare-Earth more. But, Higalgo used this on stage, so i tend to believe it must've served him well.

Thanks guys!

At some point in the future I’ll see if I can snag a secondhand one and try it out. I don’t care much for the way it looks, but if it sounds good and-most usefully-can be switched from guitar to guitar easily, it’s worth a try.

Thanks guys!

At some point in the future I’ll see if I can snag a secondhand one and try it out. I don’t care much for the way it looks, but if it sounds good and-most usefully-can be switched from guitar to guitar easily, it’s worth a try.

i'd be interested to see how they compare to the LR Baggs. i can't say that i like it better than the Baggs in the videos i've heard. it's just different and more muted to me

I am always interested in dual source removable pickup ideas for older and rare guitars I don't want to drill, so I had a look around the place to find the usual beaming and frothing positive reviews, and thought I would try one. Nup. All out of stock in my country, back order, etc etc, computer says no and all that...even one at about 3 times the price on eBay.... So the closest music shop is a Seymour Duncan dealer and they haven't carried the Mag Mic in years. So it appears, correct me if I am wrong, that the SD Mag Mic is from the early 90s, not new, and everyone buys the newer Baggs M's... OK, losing me....but if they had one in stock anywhere near me it would be mine to try! [biggrin]

A lot of people say to get the Baggs M1 or the Fishman Rare Earth Blend or...fill in the blanks - I was looking at forums! <_<

I like my Rare Earth Blend but I only put a small whisker of mag in the blend - mostly I use it for the internal mic. Now the sore point with that mic is that it is on a really long and droopy boom arm which makes it really hard to install in some guitars....and I have had it get caught on some braces - a bit scary and alarming. But, I see they have a new model RB out with ...hey! ...A shorter arm for the mic.

Here is an old thread on the SD Mag Mic I read on AGF - wanders a bit but has some home truths:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194001

BluesKing777.

Archived