Gibson Brands Forums

Heritage Guitars Fires Craftsmen

JuanCarlosVejar

It appears that there are perhaps a few more layers to the story than just the "they fired those hardworking older craftsmen - what heartless jerks".

Another side suggests that Heritage may have been losing money and was using old methods to produce somewhat inconsistent instruments; new management is interested in/has introduced CNC and other 'new technology' in an attempt to modernize, streamline, and improve production. There has been resistance from perhaps some of the 'old guard' who were unwilling to adapt and adopt the new methods, the same methods used in production in pretty much all manufacturing -- including most guitar builders -- and the management decided that it was time to part ways.

I know an individual builder who actually is a one-man show and even HE uses a CNC machine -- he simply cannot afford not to anymore, and says it has saved his hands and arms from the repetitive tasks that are required to build his instruments (he builds mostly mandolins, and a lesser amount of guitars).

Obviously, I don't have access to the Whole Story in the Heritage example, but if the resistance to the use of efficient and accurate machinery such as CNC and Pleks in production becomes a sticking point for some traditionalists, it may be appropriate to part ways. Don't know how it was handled, on a personal basis for these chaps, and perhaps that is part of the story here too....?

In any case, I hope they land on their feet, so to speak, but I also wish Heritage the best in what continues to be a competitive market that has a lot of players in it, and -- in my view -- is past saturation for guitar product.

Fred

the story that I read (as this is a few weeks old at least actually) was issues with workers not following quality protocol. Some of these guys were the "old guard".. and this was discussed for multiple years, with multiple warnings..

If I was doing shoddy work was asked to clean up my crap, and didn't, eventually, the ppl I work for would show me the door too

I know folks on both sides of this story. I’ve visited the building and Heritage space in the building many times. I had the privilege of being asked to give a talk at last fall’s celebration of the building’s 100th anniversary.

21557997_10209725019175555_2922963469754273485_n.jpg?oh=0f372d1102407940e179dae222e652a8&oe=5B37E2EF

Yes, I’m saddened by the loss of employment by folks I know and care about. But, I’ve a lot of confidence in the current owners, especially in the Rolling Stone/BandLab leader, Meng Ru Kuok.

The problem with Heritage’s mantra that it has continued to build guitars just like Gibson did in the mid-1980s, when it left Kalamazoo, is, well, Heritage has been building guitars just like Gibson did in the mid-1980s.

One article a story does not reveal. It does look like Heritage has been going through a changing of the guard. The three guys who started Heritage had all worked under Ted McCarty at Gibson since the mid- to late-1950s and refused to make the move to Nashville. Moats has passed away and Duerloo (who left Gibson to go to Guild and then returned to Gibson) is semi-retired. Not sure what Lamb is up to but up to at least a few years ago he managed the plant and was, in fact, still building guitars.

Based on the number of times the topic has popped up as to whether we can any longer refer to guitars as "hand built" you are not going to get anywhere.

Years back Vince Cunetto, one of the three guys who founded the Fender Custom Shop in the late 1980s and went on to build guitars under his own name, remarked that guitar building is a precise process and the CNC is a precision machine. CNC routers, rip saws and whatever are a fact of life in the guitar building industry. I think if anything, the "sin" of the CNC is that it offends our romantic notions about guitar building. We would love to picture our guitars being built as a workbench that looks like this. Say it ain't so, Joe.

Heritage_Guitars_Workbench.jpg

I know folks on both sides of this story. I’ve visited the building and Heritage space in the building many times. I had the privilege of being asked to give a talk at last fall’s celebration of the building’s 100th anniversary.

Yes, I’m saddened by the loss of employment by folks I know and care about. But, I’ve a lot of confidence in the current owners, especially in the Rolling Stone/BandLab leader, Meng Ru Kuok.

The problem with Heritage’s mantra that it has continued to build guitars just like Gibson did in the mid-1980s, when it left Kalamazoo, is, well, Heritage has been building guitars just like Gibson did in the mid-1980s.

I only got in there once but it was a thrill to see something like that old fretboard making machine still in use.

The article is from one person's point of view, so I'll throw in some others.

What I know:

I've been through the old Gibson plant a few times since it's been Heritage.

The last time I toured, it was completely different. They put production in a different part of the building, and there were a LOT of new faces. I believe the new owner wanted to increase production, so they hired a large batch of young workers. When I asked someone (who still works there), about the recent drama, he said that the owner decided it would now be better to reduce production and focus on quality. That lead to them letting go of some of the recently hired workers. One of the veteran workers saw this and reacted by walking out with his sons and another worker.

Also, according to a current employee, there is a lot of factory space not being used, so the plan is to bring production of some Harmony guitars to the plant, and that is where the CNC machine will be used.

Another perspective:

Unfortunately, the way Heritage was running was not sustainable. They had financial issues, and ended up selling. The real estate development company that now owns Heritage has many other plans for the property which include a gift shop, restaurant, hotel, etc. Some believe that they just wanted the property, but did not want the bad PR for closing Heritage and its link to Gibson craftsmanship. So the theory is that they put in some "effort" to make Heritage work, but ultimately fail. After giving it the "ol' college try," they can use the property for whatever they want (like a Dollywood-style tourist destination for Kalamazoo).

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this will end up. I understand the need for profitability, but I would like to see some part still dedicated to traditional craftsmanship (like a custom shop that can charge a premium for hand-made guitars). It's what sets them apart from the large-scale production companies.

Archived