Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom 7-6477?

skyf

Hi.

I'm going to ask you to look at pot codes again, I'm afraid!

Re-issues can have duplicated numbers in a ten-year cycle due to the way the system works.

As you probably know by now the numbering for reissues goes X YZZZ where X is the model year being reissued, Y is the year of manufacture and (in brief) ZZZ is the number of the particular guitar made. Yours, therefore, translates as 1957, made in either 1996, 2006 or 2016 and the individual serial number is 477.

As there is quite a lot of tarnishing/wear to the plating I think we can rule out 2016. AFAIK the only differences between the R7 BBs from 1996 and 2006 are quite small details such as truss-rod placement, positioning of the dot of the "i" in Gibson and so on. If I was asked to hazard a guess I'd say that, due to the alignment of the Grovers, is is a '96 but that really IS just a guess.

Pot codes are the way to go!

Here's where to input the number(s);

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx

Pip.

Here is the pots result for this one:

A40-71079A

R1379626

This potentiometer was made by 

CTS Corporation (Chicago Telephone Supply)

in the 26th week of 1996

Hi.

I'm going to ask you to look at pot codes again, I'm afraid!

Re-issues can have duplicated numbers in a ten-year cycle due to the way the system works.

As you probably know by now the numbering for reissues goes X YZZZ where X is the model year being reissued, Y is the year of manufacture and (in brief) ZZZ is the number of the particular guitar made. Yours, therefore, translates as 1957, made in either 1996, 2006 or 2016 and the individual serial number is 477.

As there is quite a lot of tarnishing/wear to the plating I think we can rule out 2016. AFAIK the only differences between the R7 BBs from 1996 and 2006 are quite small details such as truss-rod placement, positioning of the dot of the "i" in Gibson and so on. If I was asked to hazard a guess I'd say that, due to the alignment of the Grovers, is is a '96 but that really IS just a guess.

Pot codes are the way to go!

Here's where to input the number(s);

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx

Pip.

Archived