Gibson Brands Forums: Mic'ing up a J45 - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mic'ing up a J45

#1 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:42 AM

Hi guys, just got me a 2017 J45.

Posted Image

What is a good (not too expensive!) mic to use to mic it up? I am going to use my old Boss BR500 to record to, but have never used a mic with it. (Electric went straight in).

Many thanks
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#2 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8870
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:40 AM

Sm57 is the standard

I picked up a rode m3 cheap in local ads that I use

Bluesking is going to tell you to buy a Neumann .
If youíre millionaire then Neumann is the one to get



You going to sing at the same time or is it purely for the guitar ?
0

#3 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 13 March 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

Sm57 is the standard

If youíre millionaire then Neumann is the one to get



It'll be the SM57 then!
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#4 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 13 March 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:


You going to sing at the same time or is it purely for the guitar ?



Probably both. I am guessing a SM58 on the same stand?

This is all going to be new to me (newbie at 54 huh?). I have always "plugged in", even with my old Takamine, but I guess if I want to get the best tone from the J45, I will have to mic up?


Many thanks BTW!
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#5 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8870
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostDave1963, on 13 March 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Probably both. I am guessing a SM58 on the same stand?

This is all going to be new to me (newbie at 54 huh?). I have always "plugged in", even with my old Takamine, but I guess if I want to get the best tone from the J45, I will have to mic up?


Many thanks BTW!



Iíve a sm58 for gigs
Iíve tried to record my head and the guitar at the same time. Sure it works but it kinda records the room as much as you and the instrument
You want to get reasonably close to the mic / mics

A rode nt1 or that style of larger condenser mic will be much better at capturing both voice and guitar

Iíve worked around with various setups and now use a rode nt1 for my vocals and the other pointed at the guitar
I like to record into my laptop through an interface , others here have great success with the iPad and one condenser style plug in mic

Iím no pro by the way ,just a bedroom hack


All depends on what youíre recording with
0

#6 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 13 March 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:


All depends on what youíre recording with


I have a Boss BR600,

Posted Image


which is dedicated for guitar and voice. It is quite old, but still functions ok. Basically is just an interface to record onto flash cards (Yes its THAT old), but it does have reverb and a few more COSM Boss effects built in. Two inputs as I remember and 8 channels. I does have two onboard mics, but they are pretty poor. I might just record guitar and vox separately. Time to get a mic and have a play.
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#7 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8870
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

View PostDave1963, on 13 March 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

I have a Boss BR600,

Posted Image


which is dedicated for guitar and voice. It is quite old, but still functions ok. Basically is just an interface to record onto flash cards (Yes its THAT old), but it does have reverb and a few more COSM Boss effects built in. Two inputs as I remember and 8 channels. I does have two onboard mics, but they are pretty poor. I might just record guitar and vox separately. Time to get a mic and have a play.


If you donít wanna spend a fortune then get yourself another mic for the guitar
One at the head you already have with the 58
But for the sake of a couple of pound for the second one for the guitar youíll get much better results with your recording

Or you could record guitar then go again with the vocals the way the pros do it , but I like playing the whole thing live

All recorded one mic forces you to add the same effects to the guitar as your vocals

If you know what Iím saying



I look forward to hearing your efforts. My favourite part of the forum is peopleís songs and actually hearing the guitars
0

#8 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 13 March 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:



All recorded one mic forces you to add the same effects to the guitar as your vocals

If you know what I’m saying



I look forward to hearing your efforts. My favourite part of the forum is people’s songs and actually hearing the guitars


I get you. I kinda reached that conclusion.

You might not want to hear my playing or singing.....I submit the locals down jam night to that particular horror.... [crying]

This post has been edited by Dave1963: 13 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#9 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8870
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:32 AM

View PostDave1963, on 13 March 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

I get you. I kinda reached that conclusion.

You might not want to hear my playing or singing.....I submit the locals down jam night to that particular horror.... [crying]



Nonsense man
Weíre all friends in here.
Any level of competence is welcome
And no one is as bad as they think they are
0

#10 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

Got a Rode M3 on the way. £40 on eBay. Powered up the recorder, all still works, just need a vocal mic. Going on a SM58 hunt.
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#11 User is offline   BluesKing777 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 7436
  • Joined: 20-February 11

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 13 March 2018 - 07:40 AM, said:

Sm57 is the standard

I picked up a rode m3 cheap in local ads that I use

Bluesking is going to tell you to buy a Neumann .
If youíre millionaire then Neumann is the one to get



You going to sing at the same time or is it purely for the guitar ?




Ha Ha Ha.


You don't have to buy a Neumann, you NEED to buy a Neumann KM184. [thumbup]

I like it because they (Neumann) tell us that it will record the acoustic guitar with flat eq - it does!...instead of some mics puff up bits here and there and make it awkward later on in the mix. I am very, very happy with mine.
That said, lots of people on forums don't like them and prefer.......(fill in the blanks).

The other good way to go is to get a really nice preamp and just use your Shure SM57 and SM58. They are just great mics, but they were designed for live and loud, so without a nice clear and clean preamp, the levels are just not loud enough and you get ...yeeks...hiss.

Now to show I am not a snob, a nice little reasonably priced 4 channel mixer like the Allen and Heath has nice preamps for guitar pickups direct to the input AND a good sound for the SM57/8!


In USA at Sweetwater $399:

https://www.sweetwat...usb-and-effects


Shure SM58 $99

https://www.sweetwat...ocal-microphone






BluesKing777.




Under $500, set your controls for the heart of the sun, baby! :mellow:
0

#12 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

View PostBluesKing777, on 13 March 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:


Now to show I am not a snob, a nice little reasonably priced 4 channel mixer like the Allen and Heath has nice preamps for guitar pickups direct to the input AND a good sound for the SM57/8!




Thanks my man. I have ordered a SM58 and a RÝde M3. My son has a mixer he uses for his drums mics, so I am going to borrow that.
Otherwise it's straight into the Boss.

It's gonna be fun if nothing else.
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#13 User is offline   Br1ck 

  • Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 07-March 16

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

I bought an SM 81 for my home studio, then another I liked them so much. Best mic purchase ever. Rode NT2 is my vocal mic, but it works for acoustic instruments too.

SM 57s and 58s are for live. My 57s don't have the detail for acoustic instruments, but if I were going to have only one mic, you really can't go wrong.
0

#14 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

View PostBr1ck, on 14 March 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

I bought an SM 81 for my home studio, then another I liked them so much. Best mic purchase ever. Rode NT2 is my vocal mic, but it works for acoustic instruments too.

SM 57s and 58s are for live. My 57s don't have the detail for acoustic instruments, but if I were going to have only one mic, you really can't go wrong.


I will see how I get on. The Boss isn't exactly high end to be fair, and only has TRS inputs for mics. It is a start only. My son has a BSc in music tech, so I am sure he can help with software and interfaces if I need something better at a later date.
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

#15 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 8870
  • Joined: 22-November 11

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

What you asking us wallys for if your son has a bsc in music !!?

Just sort something out so we can hear the j45
0

#16 User is offline   Tarrr 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 618
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

+1 on Shure SM81

Been using one for tens years to record acoustic guitar and Shure KSM44 for vocals. :)
0

#17 User is offline   Dave1963 

  • Cynical old git
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 25-December 17
  • LocationLeicestershire UK

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

View Postblindboygrunt, on 14 March 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

What you asking us wallys for if your son has a bsc in music !!?

Just sort something out so we can hear the j45


He doesn't do guitar....But I know what you mean and yes I will.
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring" - David Bowie
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users