Gibson Brands Forums

Mic'ing up a J45

Dave1963

Hi guys, just got me a 2017 J45.

UMMEtwV.jpg

What is a good (not too expensive!) mic to use to mic it up? I am going to use my old Boss BR500 to record to, but have never used a mic with it. (Electric went straight in).

Many thanks

You going to sing at the same time or is it purely for the guitar ?

Probably both. I am guessing a SM58 on the same stand?

This is all going to be new to me (newbie at 54 huh?). I have always "plugged in", even with my old Takamine, but I guess if I want to get the best tone from the J45, I will have to mic up?

Many thanks BTW!

Probably both. I am guessing a SM58 on the same stand?

This is all going to be new to me (newbie at 54 huh?). I have always "plugged in", even with my old Takamine, but I guess if I want to get the best tone from the J45, I will have to mic up?

Many thanks BTW!

I’ve a sm58 for gigs

I’ve tried to record my head and the guitar at the same time. Sure it works but it kinda records the room as much as you and the instrument

You want to get reasonably close to the mic / mics

A rode nt1 or that style of larger condenser mic will be much better at capturing both voice and guitar

I’ve worked around with various setups and now use a rode nt1 for my vocals and the other pointed at the guitar

I like to record into my laptop through an interface , others here have great success with the iPad and one condenser style plug in mic

I’m no pro by the way ,just a bedroom hack

All depends on what you’re recording with

All depends on what you’re recording with

I have a Boss BR600,

9ELM0vo.jpg

which is dedicated for guitar and voice. It is quite old, but still functions ok. Basically is just an interface to record onto flash cards (Yes its THAT old), but it does have reverb and a few more COSM Boss effects built in. Two inputs as I remember and 8 channels. I does have two onboard mics, but they are pretty poor. I might just record guitar and vox separately. Time to get a mic and have a play.

I have a Boss BR600,

9ELM0vo.jpg

which is dedicated for guitar and voice. It is quite old, but still functions ok. Basically is just an interface to record onto flash cards (Yes its THAT old), but it does have reverb and a few more COSM Boss effects built in. Two inputs as I remember and 8 channels. I does have two onboard mics, but they are pretty poor. I might just record guitar and vox separately. Time to get a mic and have a play.

If you don’t wanna spend a fortune then get yourself another mic for the guitar

One at the head you already have with the 58

But for the sake of a couple of pound for the second one for the guitar you’ll get much better results with your recording

Or you could record guitar then go again with the vocals the way the pros do it , but I like playing the whole thing live

All recorded one mic forces you to add the same effects to the guitar as your vocals

If you know what I’m saying

I look forward to hearing your efforts. My favourite part of the forum is people’s songs and actually hearing the guitars

All recorded one mic forces you to add the same effects to the guitar as your vocals

If you know what Im saying

I look forward to hearing your efforts. My favourite part of the forum is peoples songs and actually hearing the guitars

I get you. I kinda reached that conclusion.

You might not want to hear my playing or singing.....I submit the locals down jam night to that particular horror.... [crying]

I get you. I kinda reached that conclusion.

You might not want to hear my playing or singing.....I submit the locals down jam night to that particular horror.... [crying]

Nonsense man

We’re all friends in here.

Any level of competence is welcome

And no one is as bad as they think they are

Sm57 is the standard

I picked up a rode m3 cheap in local ads that I use

Bluesking is going to tell you to buy a Neumann .

If you’re millionaire then Neumann is the one to get

You going to sing at the same time or is it purely for the guitar ?

Ha Ha Ha.

You don't have to buy a Neumann, you NEED to buy a Neumann KM184. [thumbup]

I like it because they (Neumann) tell us that it will record the acoustic guitar with flat eq - it does!...instead of some mics puff up bits here and there and make it awkward later on in the mix. I am very, very happy with mine.

That said, lots of people on forums don't like them and prefer.......(fill in the blanks).

The other good way to go is to get a really nice preamp and just use your Shure SM57 and SM58. They are just great mics, but they were designed for live and loud, so without a nice clear and clean preamp, the levels are just not loud enough and you get ...yeeks...hiss.

Now to show I am not a snob, a nice little reasonably priced 4 channel mixer like the Allen and Heath has nice preamps for guitar pickups direct to the input AND a good sound for the SM57/8!

In USA at Sweetwater $399:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZED60-10FX--allen-and-heath-zed60-10fx-mixer-with-usb-and-effects

Shure SM58 $99

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM58--shure-sm58-handheld-dynamic-vocal-microphone

BluesKing777.

Under $500, set your controls for the heart of the sun, baby! :mellow:

Now to show I am not a snob, a nice little reasonably priced 4 channel mixer like the Allen and Heath has nice preamps for guitar pickups direct to the input AND a good sound for the SM57/8!

Thanks my man. I have ordered a SM58 and a Røde M3. My son has a mixer he uses for his drums mics, so I am going to borrow that.

Otherwise it's straight into the Boss.

It's gonna be fun if nothing else.

I bought an SM 81 for my home studio, then another I liked them so much. Best mic purchase ever. Rode NT2 is my vocal mic, but it works for acoustic instruments too.

SM 57s and 58s are for live. My 57s don't have the detail for acoustic instruments, but if I were going to have only one mic, you really can't go wrong.

I bought an SM 81 for my home studio, then another I liked them so much. Best mic purchase ever. Rode NT2 is my vocal mic, but it works for acoustic instruments too.

SM 57s and 58s are for live. My 57s don't have the detail for acoustic instruments, but if I were going to have only one mic, you really can't go wrong.

I will see how I get on. The Boss isn't exactly high end to be fair, and only has TRS inputs for mics. It is a start only. My son has a BSc in music tech, so I am sure he can help with software and interfaces if I need something better at a later date.

Archived