Gibson Brands Forums

Red Spruce (Adi) or Sitka

Ferd13

Just spotted me a J45 Std VOS 2014... Red Label Custom Shop anyone care to let me know what kind of soundboard it's got? Serial # 1295408x Apparently it is supposed to be Red Spruce.. Seems to be a sister of the one Greg Koch of Wildwood Guitars is demo-ing - 12964040...

Why I'm asking is that the red Custom Shop label does not specify that it is Red Spruce. I am assuming it is in fact red spruce by the large grain...

Sorry, can't figure out how to add a pic.

Adirondack spruce is, of course, just a generic marketing term for any red spruce. I own two guitars with old growth red spruce tops - a 1942 J-50 and a ca. 1933 Oahu deep body 00 (which originally cost just about double what the Gibson would sell for). Yeah, I really like those guitars but will go out on a limb and say I would probably like them just as much if they had Sitka tops. Then again, back in the 1990s, Martin got hold of just enough old growth Englemann spruce to build four guitars, two of which were D-28s. A few months ago, I got a chance to play one of the two. It remains one of the best sounding modern D-28s I have yet to play. Was it the top wood? Who knows?

Archived