Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Classic 5-1517

skyf

I only have a few more, sorry for all the posts.

This one my step-father gave directly to my daughter before his passing. He told her it has a special top and is not as heavy as some others.

Here is the album:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Asa6oFpodAJTgY9PxOd8U0bjDn0MMA

Looks like it could be one of those Classic's from 95 that Pip was mentioning, if that is the case, these were typically plainer tops. That top looks pretty impressive.

Have to say your step father had a pretty envious collection.

Johnny

I only have a few more, sorry for all the posts....He told her it has a special top and is not as heavy as some others...

No problem, skyf; happy if we can help somewhat.

Like the other 1960 Classic the first digit gives year of manufacture so this one is a '95.

As far as the top goes; many 1960 Classics were what are known as 'Plain Top' where there is not much evidence of a pronounced figure - the stripy 'flame' in the wood which runs roughly perpendicular to the grain orientation. Fancier tops are known as 'Plus Top' instruments and the fanciest (usually) are known as 'Premium Plus'. As a general rule-of-thumb the fancier the top the higher the commercial value. This example is very fancy and is most probably a Premium Plus. It would be worthwhile for you to establish this if you are interested in the value of the instrument.

Often there is a designatory code inside the cavities for the pickups on a Les Paul 1960 Classic. One, normally in the neck p'up cavity, gives paint code. The other (bridge cavity, obviously!) gives top grading.

Here, as an example, is my own '95 1960 Classic Premium Plus ;

Honey (Sun)Burst paint code;

Classic_HB.jpg

Les Paul Premium Plus;

Classic_LPPP.jpg

It's unusual to see a 1960 Classic without screw holes for its specially stamped pickguard. Perhaps Gibson decided that some of the PP tops were too fancy to hide? Gibson has, sometimes, been known to supply guards loose in the case to allow the buyer the choice 'To Fit or Not To Fit? That is the question...'.

Oddly enough my own one has an aftermarket 'guard so perhaps it was supplied 'guard unfitted' as well?......eusa_think.gif......

Pip.

EDIT : I see Johnny was posting as I was writing my spiel...with much the same info!

...Have to say your step father had a pretty envious collection...

I have to say I've been thinking exactly the same thing! Not a dud amongst the lot of them.

Clearly a man of some taste and discernment where Les Pauls were concerned!

msp_thumbup.gif

Archived