Gibson Brands Forums

'88 LP Custom - Arctic White question

EddieMinyard

Hey guys - first time posting here!

I'm wondering about the impact to value of a (very well done) headstock repair on an '88 Custom? For what it's worth, it also has Les Paul's autograph ("Keep Pickin' - Les Paul) on the upper bout. I don't think that would help the value, but it ups the cool factor!

Input?

About Half, or less, than a similar non-broken headstock version would command.

So, keep it, and PLAY it! [thumbup][biggrin] Some say it isn't really a "Gibson,"

until the headstock has been broken, and repaired! [rolleyes] And, often a repaired headstock

is stronger, than the original.

Cheers,

CB

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid CB is pretty much correct in the value-drop aspect. Then again it might also depend on where you live to a certain extent. Here in the UK the price wouldn't be quite as low as it is Stateside simply due to the smaller number of '80s Arctic White Customs available but it's still probably devalued by at least one third in comparison with an unbroken example.

Pip.

...Some say it isn't really a "Gibson," until the headstock has been broken, and repaired!...

I don't know who says that.

I've been playing nearly as long as you Charlie. I've never broken a Gibson headstock, even when one of my L6ii fell off the Cerwin Vega and should have broken it didn't. I've never been in a band with a person with any broken headstock'd Gibson. I've never met a guitar player with one. I've only ever seen broken headstock'd Gibsons at guitar shows, tagged "Vintage. The usual neck repair, very well done". There are one or three examples at the big Philly shows every year. Divide by how many Gibsons are in there, times how many I've been to, just in Philly, and that is really very very few guitars ever.

It isn't "the usual" unless you are trying to sell something. Honestly, they just don't break that often, not in my long experience which may not count at all to others.

rct

I have to agree with rct. I've read a lot about how common it is, but have never personally known anyone who has broken a Gibson headstock. In fact, my LP Studio took a dive about 5 years ago, hard enough to break off two tunes, but the headstock was fine.

I don't know who says that.

I've been playing nearly as long as you Charlie. I've never broken a Gibson headstock, even when one of my L6ii fell off the Cerwin Vega and should have broken it didn't. I've never been in a band with a person with any broken headstock'd Gibson. I've never met a guitar player with one. I've only ever seen broken headstock'd Gibsons at guitar shows, tagged "Vintage. The usual neck repair, very well done". There are one or three examples at the big Philly shows every year. Divide by how many Gibsons are in there, times how many I've been to, just in Philly, and that is really very very few guitars ever.

It isn't "the usual" unless you are trying to sell something. Honestly, they just don't break that often, not in my long experience which may not count at all to others.

rct

Some guy on YouTube, talking about the "ridiculous" headstock angles, on most Gibson models! I mentioned that quote, in jest.

Although, it seems to be true, that a well repaired headstock break, is often stronger than it was new. So...???

CB

well, I started playing in the late 60s.. so far, knock on wood... 6 gibson's currently, I've NEVER had headstock break on me.

I know a few luthiers, they are personal friends.. They repair headstocks often, at least one a month according to one of the busier ones.

Some guy on YouTube, talking about the "ridiculous" headstock angles, on most Gibson models! I mentioned that quote, in jest.

That's the problem with you tube,, any moron can setup a channel, and instantly become a self proclaimed expert. 80% of this is pure rubbish. ANY neck with that break angle at the nut is vulnerable. it doesn't matter at all, what the name on the headstock is. .

Wow -- I must live in a different universe. I encounter LPs with broken headstocks all the time. I have never broken one myself, nor have my player friends. I'll bet most members here have not broken one, either. That's because we are a peculiar subgroup, and are more conscientious and respectful of our guitars than most. Also, I'll bet that few of us are working musicians, setting up on stage and travelling 3X a week. And finally, there are a bo-zillion LPs out there, so yes, most are unbroken. That still leaves many that are. Including many of the famous Bursts that belong to actual players (not collectors). In the market here, a broken headstock is indeed a 50% devaluation, regardless of the fact that many can be fixed wonderfully. (The old Peter Green "Greeny" has been broken twice -- maybe more.)

Most of us will gladly step out of your way to get that guitar. No broken neck guitar for me unless they are about $50.

Much appreciated. I only care how well they play and sound. However, it's a moot point because I'm not buying another electric anyway.

Archived