Gibson Brands Forums

The great John prine tiny desk

blindboygrunt

What a great series of videos these tiny desks are

https://www.npr.org/event/music/592266527/john-prine-tiny-desk-concert

I am a fan of these as well. Perfect format for checking out new artists and as in this case old favorites.

Going to see JP in May. He will be playing the Beaver Dam Ampitheatre in Kentucky, not far from Paradise, Muhlenburg County and the Greene River.

Im gonna go the other way and suggest its rather dull. Im not too familiar with his music but i found this set kinda flat and repeticiouis, his voice always seems to be singing in the same low range, not much dynamic. I much much more preferred Jackson Brownes tiny desk performance. Although I do dig John's capo here, did you see it ? Its a got a stud on it !

Im gonna go the other way and suggest its rather dull. Im not too familiar with his music but i found this set kinda flat and repeticiouis, his voice always seems to be singing in the same low range, not much dynamic. I much much more preferred Jackson Brownes tiny desk performance. Although I do dig John's capo here, did you see it ? Its a got a stud on it !

There really is no hope for you Aussie

Kinda' sad. Old and puffy. Hard livin'?

He had serious cancer on his neck back about 20 years ago. It required major surgery that took away a large portion of his neck tissue, followed by heavy radiation. It was touch and go whether or not he would survive, much less sing. The surgery and treatment pretty much destroyed his voice.

Go on YouTube and watch some of his older videos, to hear what he sounded like before. He is a brilliant lyricist and storyteller. The music is just the vehicle.

He had serious cancer on his neck back about 20 years ago. It required major surgery that took away a large portion of his neck tissue, followed by heavy radiation. It was touch and go whether or not he would survive, much less sing. The surgery and treatment pretty much destroyed his voice.

Go on YouTube and watch some of his older videos, to hear what he sounded like before. He is a brilliant lyricist and storyteller. The music is just the vehicle.

^ This. There is a funny story he tells about helping Steve Goodman write the song 'You Never Even Called Me By My Name'. John wouldn't take a co write credit because he thought it was terrible, country song bashing. Steve offered him a second chance when David Allen Coes version was climbing the charts, John ever the man of his word still refused. He says Steve showed up one day with a $12,000 Wurlitzer juke box in his truck, that never worked very well. He claims it sits in his living room still and every time he looks at it he feels stupid.

Ha. I'll take any version of John I can have!

Archived