Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal/floor tuners

Jinder

Hi all,

I’m in need of a new tuner for my pedalboard. I’ve been using a Korg Pitchblack Mini for some time, but I really don’t like it-long story but it generates an unpleasant whine when in use, which is characteristic of this unit when powered by a 9v unit daisy-chained with other pedals-this is how i run my board and using an individual psu for it isn’t practical for my setup.

So, I’m after a new floor tuner. What do you use? I like the look of the Turbo Tuner/TT Mini, but having used a Peterson for several years I know how tweaky and sensitive live strobe tuners can be, and I feel this would be overkill in terms of features Vs what I need.

So, the options are:

Boss TU3

Boss TU3-W (Waza Craft model)

TC Electronic PolyTune 2/3/Mini

Snark floor tuner

One of the many Mooer/Donner/TomsLine Nano sized units

Or A.N. Other...silent switching is a must as I’m fed up with my Korg going “BANG!” At random when switching it on/off.

What would you recommend?

I have the TU3 WAZA and its fantastic. It is noiseless of course, great tuner accuracy of course, and it als is the correct impedance match for a K&k equipped guitar, of which I have a few. I know its larger than some other tuners on pedal boards, but i have the space, and my board is kind of simple.

froSKmxl.jpg

By the way, I have tried be more familiar with electronics and physics... Some folks have asked me why I dont run my three effects into the Fire'eye's Effects loop. And Alls I know is it sounds good this way. The tuner is a silent mute. The red boost button gives me an honest boost for solos, and the reverb and delay add just the color I need occasionally.

One more thing.. We should be asking YOU this stuff! (not an insult - rather a needle born of admiration)

Thanks all!

I’m always keen to see what everyone is using in case I’ve missed a trick...I was very tempted by the Turbo, Buc, but having used Petersons for years I find floor strobe tuners a bit sensitive for loud bar gigs/function band shows when under pressure to tune super quickly with a lot of ambient noise.

I ended up ordering the Waza Craft Boss unit-I’ve read that the buffers in these are superb and an upgrade on the stock TU3 buffer, so I decided to take the plunge and try one out. They’re twice the price of the stock TU3 in the U.K, but I’m all for the “buy once, cry once” approach when it comes to kit that’s going to take a hammering on the road 🙂

Why don’t you just attach one to your headstock jinder ??

A clip on that is , not a pedal !!

I always do at home...for live stuff I need the mute function of a pedal tuner as I use altered tunings quite a bit and I don’t want to drive my already limited audience away by subjecting them to several minutes of “bwoooaaang!” “beeeeeonggg!” every few tunes 😂

I always do at home...for live stuff I need the mute function of a pedal tuner as I use altered tunings quite a bit and I don’t want to drive my already limited audience away by subjecting them to several minutes of “bwoooaaang!” “beeeeeonggg!” every few tunes 😂

Ah !

Fair enough.

I’ve got one of those cables with a on/off button at the end pin for such times

Ah !

Fair enough.

I’ve got one of those cables with a on/off button at the end pin for such times

That’s a brilliant invention, I’ve never heard of that before! I could have saved myself a ton of money by going down that route. What brand is your cable with the mute switch? It would be a handy thing to have for gigs that I can’t take my pedalboard to, and a useful thing to have around in general!

Personally i would find a pedal that is just a tuner absolutely redundant. But i always try to minimise the amout of pedals i have now. So at moment, for a standard gig I have the Aura Spectrum DI which has a tuner (but not particularly good one) and also the Boss VE-8 which also has a tuner, and i find that one to be fast, reliable and accurate.

So I probably didnt asnwer your question, rather pose a question - why do you need to have a pedal just for tuning ?

Personally i would find a pedal that is just a tuner absolutely redundant. But i always try to minimise the amout of pedals i have now. So at moment, for a standard gig I have the Aura Spectrum DI which has a tuner (but not particularly good one) and also the Boss VE-8 which also has a tuner, and i find that one to be fast, reliable and accurate.

So I probably didnt asnwer your question, rather pose a question - why do you need to have a pedal just for tuning ?

I did look at the VE8, the problem is that my board has to do double duty for both acoustic gigs and electric full band shows, so a stand-alone tuner is the best option for me...I used the TU3 Waza live for the first time last night, worked like a dream. So much quicker tracking than my old Pitchblack Mini!

Archived