Gibson Brands Forums

2018 explorer

Roach

I just got this baby today. Loving it. The burstbuckers 2 and 3 surprised me a bit i did not expect them to be as good as they are, very full range and lotts of bite and punch. But what i really cannot find an answer about is the mini grover tuning machines, anyone know the ratio?

Congrats on the new geetar! Gibson got the explorer right this year. We are however gonna need confirmation it exists. Pictures, pictures, pictures! Haha.

I keep forgetting how to get the pic to show in the message on this site... try:

2e6fdb6a3d22911c197b386468c36ce7.png

Thx all... i hope 18:1 or better. i tuned it once and its still in tune so that is great.

So i open my window shades so I get some real sunlight in my room and i find damage. The locks on the stands at the guitar store are the first and obvious reason this could have happened. Did not notice it right away but the nut is cracked, even looks as though they tried repairing it with some clear glue. The head has chipped paint right there, where the lock down guitar stands lock at. I am not taking this well as i drove 2 hours to get this guitar and now I have to return it when they do not even have another one. They were unpleasant enough to buy from let alone having to return something. I paid cash they only refund checks, i don't have a bank, why i paid cash. So i would lose money paying for a check cash place... Anyway let this be a warning to anyone shopping guitars at a place with locking guitar stands.

I will edit soon adding a pic  charging phone

That sucks, that's a nice looking guitar.

I asked another distinguished gentleman but I'll ask you as well: how do you find the fret board material to be like?

I ask as I'm curious about the torrified grenadillo as opposed to the usual rosewood or ebony.

That sucks, that's a nice looking guitar.

I asked another distinguished gentleman but I'll ask you as well: how do you find the fret board material to be like?

I ask as I'm curious about the torrified grenadillo as opposed to the usual rosewood or ebony.

I like it, i play faster, cleaner, and its real smooth. sliding up frets on it, i find no hang ups, snags or any problems with that. I guess if any of the tone comes from a fretboard then it is just one thing contributing to an amazing sounding guitar.

I dont really know how much influence the fretboard has on the sound if any really, it is a part of the whole that i would not take away. I also wondered what exactly is torrified grenadillo? Just have not taken the time to look it up.

A cracked nut due to store handling really is under my skin at the moment. I might deal with that better if there wasn't also chipped paint on the head.

This is the type of lock they had on the guitar, this is not my guitar, just the lock they had ruining guitars. I guess they locked it right on the nut.

The pics i took of my damage didnt turn out to be clear ill try again tomorrow

878f6f62346cd522992462ffe0bed021.png

That is a very nice looking guitar Roach. A real shame about the damage. It is a pity you didn't notice in the shop but it is easy to miss stuff in the excitement and I have done so many times.

Hope you get it successfully sorted.

msp_scared.gif I am taking it back and waiting a week for a new one to ship from gibson. dry.gif

I dont have the cash to get a setup and nut installed at this time, because i have to repair my marshall.

i just hope i can get that done with the cash i have.

sf bay area amp techs shout out?

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was more than a week wait, msp_cursing.gif but i got the call today. msp_w00t.gif The factory sealed box is at the store waiting for me to get there and pick up my new 2018 gibson explorer antique finish just like the one i had only this one should not have a broken nut. eusa_pray.gif Nobody wants a cracked nut... It hurts... ohmy.gif I will ad pics soon as i get it home. msp_flapper.gif

Well it was more than a week wait, msp_cursing.gif but i got the call today. msp_w00t.gif The factory sealed box is at the store waiting for me to get there and pick up my new 2018 gibson explorer antique finish just like the one i had only this one should not have a broken nut. eusa_pray.gif Nobody wants a cracked nut... It hurts... ohmy.gif I will ad pics soon as i get it home. msp_flapper.gif

Hope it all works out Roach. I am sure it will.

But don't leave the shop until you have inspected every half inch!

• 3 weeks later...

After seven months keen anticipation, my pre-ordered 2018 Explorer finally arrived at my local (UK) music shop a couple of weeks ago. And I love it. Well worrth trading in a Strat, a kidney and someone else's grandmother for.

So that is what a Strat, a kidney and a granny buy these days. Back in the old days you could get all that, and they would throw in an amp too.

Well my factory sealed 2018, also had a cracked nut. Unbelievable. So I took it back, (also because the knot in the wood grain just wouldn't stop bothering me).

I ordered an Explorer Elite instead, paid the difference in cash and now I wait. Anyone know how long Gibson will take to ship here in the USA? Are the Explorer Elite's per order like the leftys are? Or do they have them ready to go out right away? I called Gibson and got hung up on by the automated system.

The store of course has no clue. I asked three store employee people and got 3 very different answers from a couple days to 8 weeks.

Glad you got your Gibson Explorer! Mine was ordered in December 2015 and still not one has been IMPORTED TO AUSTRALIA!! WTF gibson and I have just been told not 1 Gibson will ever come to Australia in 2018?? How does your build quality look?? Wood matched? I'd been keen to hear what your Explorer is like??

post-91653-079168200 1525327190_thumb.jpg

Glad you got your Gibson Explorer! Mine was ordered in December 2015 and still not one has been IMPORTED TO AUSTRALIA!! WTF gibson and I have just been told not 1 Gibson will ever come to Australia in 2018?? How does your build quality look?? Wood matched? I'd been keen to hear what your Explorer is like??

I took it back, The wood was NOT matched well, It had a fkin knot on the body grain was colored badly and the nut was cracked. I ordered the elite, to replace it with, and I am still waiting for it. msp_cursing.gif

https://gyazo.com/ac...d88859f62fbb6eb

Archived