Gibson Brands Forums

57 Les Paul Custom 3 Pickup Bigsby

producer vanluy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It might depend on when your R7 BB was made.

When the 3-p'up '57 BB re-issue was first introduced (in 1993) it had '57 Classics and, AFAIK, it stayed with '57s until 2002.

Pip.

Yep, like pippy said. My 2009 is meant to have Burstbuckers, though I've never taken them out to check. Apparently at some point Gibson decided Burstbuckers sounded more accurate than 57 Classics for the LPB7. Seems odd, but both types of pickup sound excellent to my ears.

What year is yours from?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to chime in with a bit more info here, I have a 2007 3-pup 57RI LP Custom, and it has '57 Classics stock from factory. This, despite the fact that the spec page for this year indicates BB1 and BB2 pups.

As best as I can tell, based on reading other forum posts here and there, 2007 was a bit of a transition year, where they were moving from '57 Classics to BB1/2 in this model. However, my LP Custom has a relatively high serial number and so came out of the factory late that year, and the '57 Classics are dated August 2007. So it may be that as the transition was occurring, some of these guitars were getting '57 Classics and some were getting BB1/2. I would be curious to know if 2008s and 2009s were more consistently BB1/2.

Regardless, the guitar sounds fantastic and I have no desire to swap out the pups.

I have a 2007 '57RI LP Custom with three pickups, all 57 Classics and all stock. As best as I can tell, 2007 was a transition year when Gibson was moving from 57 Classics to BB1/2 in this guitar. But mine is a late 2007 and the pups are stamped as made in August of that year, so they were still going with 57 Classics on at least some of these guitars late in 2007.

If you check the original spec page for the 2007 57RI LP Custom, it states BB1/2: Spec page

Obviously, there was a lot of inconsistency about the pups. But I would be curious to know if BB1/2's were more consistently stock in 2008s or 2009s.

I like the 57 Classics, but I've never played BB1/2's, so I can't really say one or the other is better.

Since it's supposed to be a reissue of a 1957 guitar - it would only make sense to have '57 classics in it. Burstbuckers didn't exist in 1957.

But if it's advertised as one thing and turns out to be another then that it another issue altogether.

Guest Farnsbarns

Since it's supposed to be a reissue of a 1957 guitar - it would only make sense to have '57 classics in it. Burstbuckers didn't exist in 1957.

But if it's advertised as one thing and turns out to be another then that it another issue altogether.

57 classics didn't exist in 57 either. Both are deacribed as PAF clones though.

Archived