Gibson Brands Forums

Two serial numbers on custom shop guitar?

Bronzestar

I'm guessing the serials on the two inside labels match, but the headstock serial is different. Actually this - inside label and headstock serials not matching - has come up here before. Turns out the Bozeman boys don't always get enough coffee in the morning.

I recall one incident where Bozeman issued the owner a new inside label with the correct serial - but it was a new purchase.

First thing that comes to mind is has the neck been changed with another guitar? The other thing that comes to mind is why are there two Gibson stickers in the guitar? My Custom Shop Gibson doesn’t have that, although mine is a Custom Shop Reissue from Fullers and has a FON on the neck block and no sticker to keep it authentic looking like its original.

Where are you thinking of buying the guitar from? Ask them about these things and see what they say. You could also try calling Gibson’s Customer Service. Also, maybe Gruhn’s Guitars in Nashville to get their take on this all.

Let us know what you find.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The two labels inside don't bother me. The one that has Ren's signature was put on after the one beneath it. I would guess Ren always intended to sign the guitar--indicating he worked on it--but the original label got stuck inside before he could sign it. It's not easy to sign your name on a label after it's inside the soundhole.

The different serial number on the neck is a bit of a mystery. It is a later serial number by about six weeks. Since it's a custom shop guitar that Ren worked on to some extent, it may be that the body sat on the bench for some time before a neck was mated to it, and a later serial number had already been put on the neck that finally ended up on the guitar.

It's a curiosity, but it wouldn't stop me from buying it if the provenance checks out.

Luthier's Choice Madagascar AJ, signed by Ren? Yummy. It doesn't get much better than that. That's a very special guitar!

I'd love to see the back.

First thing that comes to mind is has the neck been changed with another guitar? The other thing that comes to mind is why are there two Gibson stickers in the guitar? My Custom Shop Gibson doesn’t have that, although mine is a Custom Shop Reissue from Fullers and has a FON on the neck block and no sticker to keep it authentic looking like its original.

Where are you thinking of buying the guitar from? Ask them about these things and see what they say. You could also try calling Gibson’s Customer Service. Also, maybe Gruhn’s Guitars in Nashville to get their take on this all.

Let us know what you find.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thx Jeff,

Like to buy the guitar from a really old guy here in Germany who doesn’t play guitar anymore. He told me that, Gibson’s does a guitar not like Martin, etc. He said they do the body first and weeks later ( sometimes) they choose the neck....

I contacted Gibson and wait for answer...

It will be my first Gibson si I ask the players here :)

Thx

The two labels inside don't bother me. The one that has Ren's signature was put on after the one beneath it. I would guess Ren always intended to sign the guitar--indicating he worked on it--but the original label got stuck inside before he could sign it. It's not easy to sign your name on a label after it's inside the soundhole.

The different serial number on the neck is a bit of a mystery. It is a later serial number by about six weeks. Since it's a custom shop guitar that Ren worked on to some extent, it may be that the body sat on the bench for some time before a neck was mated to it, and a later serial number had already been put on the neck that finally ended up on the guitar.

It's a curiosity, but it wouldn't stop me from buying it if the provenance checks out.

Luthier's Choice Madagascar AJ, signed by Ren? Yummy. It doesn't get much better than that. That's a very special guitar!

I'd love to see the back.

You are so right Nick ;) Luthier's Choice Madagascar AJ, signed by Ren

Crazy but, it’s the first Gibson I really like ( soundwise)

Here some pics from the actual seller...

I bought a used Honky Tonk Deuce. The Stamp and label are a couple digits off on the production number. The label is signed by Dwight. I'm guessing there's a least one other one out there not matching.

You are so right Nick ;) Luthier's Choice Madagascar AJ, signed by Ren

Crazy but, it’s the first Gibson I really like ( soundwise)

Here some pics from the actual seller...

Spectacular piece of rosewood, perfectly book-matched. Looks almost exactly like Brazilian.

Spectacular piece of rosewood, perfectly book-matched. Looks almost exactly like Brazilian.

Absolutely. Can’t get enough of the pics :)

Will wait for Gibson’s answer and some Forum theory’s ....after that grab that beauty!

I have a CS Tele that has one serial number on the neck plate and a different one on the bridge plate. The one on the neck plate matches the one on the COA. I called Fender about it and was told that probably one of the workers grabbed the wrong bridge plate out of the bin.

S**t happens. I wouldn't worry too much about it, looks like a beautiful guitar....

I have a CS Tele that has one serial number on the neck plate and a different one on the bridge plate. The one on the neck plate matches the one on the COA. I called Fender about it and was told that probably one of the workers grabbed the wrong bridge plate out of the bin.

S**t happens. I wouldn't worry too much about it, looks like a beautiful guitar....

Thx joe,

Indeed. It is :)

ich würde auch sagen, kaufen! Denke nicht, dass die mal einen anderen Hals bekommen hat. Kannst du die Gitarre persönlich antesten?

Sorry guys.

Na klar,

Habe in Holland die gleiche getestet und mich verliebt. Diehier ist in besserem Zustand und wesentlich günstiger. Über die Nummern schaue ich hinweg, werde privat testen und dann hoffentlich kaufen. Danke :)

Archived