Gibson Brands Forums

Speaking of eBay Gibsons

zombywoof

Did any of you guys see this one? If I was reasonably sure it were only true it would be a be still my beating heart thing. Not many of these hanging around the planet. It is at times like this I wish I had the eye and knowledge of Tom or JT. While I guess it could be a '43 LG-3, I just can't shake the feeling that I might be looking at something like a refinished 1944 LG-2. And I do give the seller credit as he provides a photo of the FON.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1942-Gibson-LG-3-Blond-Acoustic-Guitar-Vintage-W-Hard-Case-100-made/123014502054?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It's more likely to be a re-finished LG-2 or even LG-1. You wouldn't know without an in-hand analysis. It looks to me like it has been brushed over with some kind of clear, gloppy finish. I've seen that done more than once. If it really is an LG-3, there would be no signs of dark overspray inside the soundhole. A forensic exam would tell you, but it sounds like the guy is making no guarantees and just wants to unload it.

Ouch! If it's an LG1 Nick, I'd be shocked if there wouldn't be at least one educated bidder making sure that it wasn't before bidding at that level. I thought it was gloppy too. Guess we'll never know.

Ouch! If it's an LG1 Nick, I'd be shocked if there wouldn't be at least one educated bidder making sure that it wasn't before bidding at that level. I thought it was gloppy too. Guess we'll never know.

It's tricky. The listing says 1942, but that FON--which appears to be a clear 284, maybe followed by a very faint 7, plus the red pencil rank--is consistent with 1944 (if it's 2847-xx). This is from the banner Gibson registry for 1944, which contains the known FON's 2848-xx and 2849-xx.

They've made possibly erroneous assumptions about the year made on the presumption of the model, so who's to say they've got the model right?

It took me all of about 10 minutes to do that research, so who knows what assumptions the seller has made, and what they are based on?

It's tricky. The listing says 1942, but that FON--which appears to be a clear 284, maybe followed by a very faint 7, plus the red pencil rank--is consistent with 1944 (if it's 2847-xx). This is from the banner Gibson registry for 1944, which contains the known FON's 2848-xx and 2849-xx.

They've made possibly erroneous assumptions about the year made on the presumption of the model, so who's to say they've got the model right?

It took me all of about 10 minutes to do that research, so who knows what assumptions the seller has made, and what they are based on?

To me, the easiest way to identify a 1942 Gibson is an FON ending with an "H". The FON stamped on my J-50, as example, is 7116H. If it had the original tuners you could have looked to see if the two circular manufacturer stamps were present. I also agree the finish looked inky appearing like what I would describe as a an amateurish attempt. Bottom line for me was, even if you bid believing it was a refinished LG-2, the selling price was not much of a bargain.

Archived