Gibson Brands Forums

Hmm cracks appearing

blindboygrunt

What the ? ? ?

Did you take a look at the level of the bottle to see how far below the scratch you left on the label was?

As Sal hinted, looks more like the one point of impact- could've caused a crack, but not only does it look too wide for dryness crack, but you've mentioned before how low humidity is not much of a problem for you. And yes, nice thing about repair in that area of the burst, the fade from brown to black sets you up for a decent repair, if you're feeling a repair is in order.

Hope it was a happy St Patrick's day, nonetheless.

What the ? ? ?

Did you take a look at the level of the bottle to see how far below the scratch you left on the label was?

As Sal hinted, looks more like the one point of impact- could've caused a crack, but not only does it look too wide for dryness crack, but you've mentioned before how low humidity is not much of a problem for you. And yes, nice thing about repair in that area of the burst, the fade from brown to black sets you up for a decent repair, if you're feeling a repair is in order.

Hope it was a happy St Patrick's day, nonetheless.

Oh no

I had no accident .

There was always a little , er , line ? Trace? From when I had the guitar . But a week or so ago I guess the bit of lacquer fell out and I just looked one day and seen what your all seeing now

This is not a sudden incident

I go with it being a previously repaired crack that lived out it's days. Liquid like naptha will find it's way through regardless, but I think I'd let it sit a bit to see if it moves. If it's a previously repaired crack I'd humidify it before repairing it to see if it closes up a little. Weird, because that should be a sturdy area of the top.

Weird, man, , , there was a small line in the upper bout surface that suddenly became a huge scar making a piece of lacquer crack off !?!

Even stranger than the 10th fret falling from Jinders Dove.

What will be the next. . .

Maybe give it some glue from below and a touch of black tusch. As I recall it the 45 already has a ding above the sound-hole.

The guitar is becoming real now, , , like the relationship with its owner. .

Rock on, good bbgrunt, don't crack up

I’m reasonably sure there was no previous crack repair .

When I took it last year to get a set up and some fretwork done on it and the ‘split’ was merely a line in the lacquer ( not much different than the little ripple marks at the shoulders of most j45’s )

The luthier said he had had a look and it appears to be nothing really . Not worth worrying about

My guess is that there was a little ding and then a little split has formed there with sods law in full force

Then the ding has enabled the lacquer to fall off , then it has contracted back into proper order

I think the split stretched a little over Christmas when the gas stove was lit in the living room. Little hygrometer didn’t go below 30 at any time though. But who knows

I doubt I’ll send it anywhere or worry about it much.

Because of where it is I’m thinkkng it can’t really turn into anything more than it is ? Right ?

And what’s the flat slither of wood that is stuck to the top shown in the picture ?

What’s that for ?

Fortyyears- what’s special about the fretboard ?

Isn’t that brace called the popsicle brace? It’s most likely protected that crack from opening up any further, but with lower humidity it could make for the sound hole/rosette. Also- humidity levels in the 30s can be considered “you has been warned” range.

That bare wood spot on top... and the width of the gouge and nature of it... makes me think case bite... or a knock/dragalong into a music stand.

Sorry BBG.

You could fix it the way I fixed a top crack in my old 2005 Martin D15

HkwNN0eh.jpg

Last time , it didn’t get a knock

It hasn’t seen a case in Maybe 2 years. Lives on the stand in living room

It looks pretty far from the fretboard, but is that at the edge of the neck block? I used to keep a J-45 on a stand all the time. Until, I started to get finish cracks on the back and top, right at the edges of the neck and tail blocks. Humidity swings by me are pretty drastic between summers and winters.

Wow Grunt,, that is crazy...

BTW.. Stew Mac has Lacquer Pens (Nitro) they have about 10 different colors. Black being one. They are made for repairs JUST like this.

They work good for drop and fill repairs. I've used them and they are easy to use and the BLACK one was a perfect match for the repair I did. (much smaller than yours, just the edg of a headstock got a little banged up and I wanted it properly sealed.

not sure if you want to check em out, got to stew make and look for Color Tone Pens.

Wow Grunt,, that is crazy...

BTW.. Stew Mac has Lacquer Pens (Nitro) they have about 10 different colors. Black being one. They are made for repairs JUST like this.

They work good for drop and fill repairs. I've used them and they are easy to use and the BLACK one was a perfect match for the repair I did. (much smaller than yours, just the edg of a headstock got a little banged up and I wanted it properly sealed.

not sure if you want to check em out, got to stew make and look for Color Tone Pens.

Black sharpie did the trick 👍

Stewmac is great. But it’s in America.

Archived