Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Les Paul Supreme Florentine Goldtop

electricmonk

Hi all, need some help here...

Just acquired a 2014 Les Paul Supreme Florentine with a Goldtop finish. All appears original, but there is some odd stuff going on. The serial number is 105540300, which would indicate very early in 2014 (before the numbering change). Interestingly, the photo on the Gibson site for the 2014 Supreme (which they only list as available in Caribbean Blue) is 105540303. The page is still up so you can look up. The Supremes came only with 490R/498T pickups, but mine has a 57 classic in the neck and a super 57 in the bridge. Markings show a matched pair - neck is 860-31682-L with a date of 1/23/14 and the bridge is 860-31683-L with a date of 11/27/13. These are the right dates for an early 2014 guitar. The only thing is I can't find any reference to a goldtop finish in the Supremes anywhere. I am wondering if this is a very early "practice" run or even prototype of some sort. Any help would be appreciated. I have also sent a note to service@gibson.com, but have had no response...

As for pics, I don't have photobucket - is there any other way to post pics?

I am wondering if this is a very early "practice" run or even prototype of some sort.

Well, I'm not the most knowledgeable member around here, but since no one else is chiming in...... I'd guess your statement above is correct. I searched also and could only find the blue ones. And they all had that pointy horn on the cutout. I know Gibson sometimes does special runs exclusively for certain stores like Guitar Center or Sweetwater. But in this case, that doesn't seem as likely to me. eusa_think.gif

Let us know what you find out.

Well, I'm not the most knowledgeable member around here, but since no one else is chiming in...... I'd guess your statement above is correct. I searched also and could only find the blue ones. And they all had that pointy horn on the cutout. I know Gibson sometimes does special runs exclusively for certain stores like Guitar Center or Sweetwater. But in this case, that doesn't seem as likely to me. eusa_think.gif

Let us know what you find out.

I was thinking the same thing, has to be a special. If it was mass produced we would be able to find it on the interweb.. To be honest, I like the goldtop much better than the blue.

Thanks for comments - I saw the LP295, but if I remember correctly, it had the mahogany back like a regular standard.... Also, the LP295 did not have the multi-ply binding (7 layer on front, 5 on back, which is a signature of Supremes)... I also agree, that even if I can't it's provenance, I'm keeping it because it is different and cool! Best, Chris

Archived