Gibson Brands Forums

Just Want to Say Hello.

Grahamburglar

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum, and new to Gibson. I'm a 36 year old guy who started self-teaching (ok more like YouTube teaching) on the guitar almost 2 years ago. I started out on a Yamaha FG340 that I got for a sweet deal at a Texas pawn shop. I am still probably a terrible guitar player by most standards, but I really enjoy it. Anyway, for new year's I decided it was time to upgrade my rig. I shopped around for a while looking and trying out different guitars. On Feb. 2nd I splurged a little and bought a Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst. I went into the whole thing expecting to buy a Martin or Taylor (my FG340 is a Martin D35 clone), but I guess I had one of those "the guitar picks you" experiences where I just kept going back to the J-15. It just has this kind of magic in the mids and highs that nothing else I tried could reproduce, J-45s included. There was a very easy playing Taylor that was a close second, but I had pretty much fallen hard for Gibson by then. Aside from looking and sounding amazing, this guitar is so much lighter and more comfortable to play than my first guitar.

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading through the forums and learning from y'all. If you'd like, I'm interested to hear how you became a Gibson fan.

Thanks!

-G

Welcome aboard and very nice choice on your Gibson J-15. That's a nice one!msp_thumbup.gif Glad you love playing. So your from Oklahoma, I'm in Nebraska. I've been down there about 3 times before, nice state! So my first Gibson? Well, I was 13 when I first took guitar lessons from my cousin who played in this band and he was very good at lead guitar. He had a black Gibson with white trim, I think it was a semi hollow if I remember and it was gorgeous. From that time on, I always dreamed of getting a Gibson but couldn't afford one. So I had lots of different models. After I retired from the Railroad at 60, I just figured it was time to make that dream come true and went to G.C. Shopping around I checked out the used section and saw a Gold Top hanging way up high. It was marked down for sale at $1,445.99 and I thought it may be a Standard but this guitar looked brand new, Mint shape and showed no signs of being played. To good to be true so I bought it. They had a newer employee hang it there and he priced it on sale so they sold it to me at that price, but I got to my car and another employee chased me down wanting to buy it back. That inspired me to call Gibson customer service to see what it was. It was in fact a new 2007 GT Standard that didn't sell in a guitar shop so was transferred to Guitar Center. It sold for $3,445.99 New that year in 2007. So I thought I made off well!msp_flapper.gif

Archived