Gibson Brands Forums

SJ100 Walnut...anyone tried one?

Jinder

Played a few. Nice, even tone, but lacking bite. Reminds of me the J-185, sort of there ... but not quite.

Very interesting...I fancy one as a workhorse guitar for general all-round gigging duty so i don’t have to put a ton of miles on my 200. I had a ‘41 Reissue SJ100 for a while which did that job perfectly, but I had to sell it to fund some car repairs in December. A real shame as I loved that guitar, cool and unfussy, ideal guitar for all-round work that wouldn’t cost a kidney and the leasehold of my soul to replace if it got damaged.

It sounds like it might be a bit too mellow for what I’m after. I’m also considering a J180 as the two pickguards look great and would keep it well protected for road work...choices, choices...

Jinder

You want it all

Haha I do...I tend to go in cycles with my guitars, at the moment my Hummingbird is getting all the love, which got me thinking about how good my Mahogany SJ100 was, which made me disappear down the YouTube rabbithole watching all manner of SJ100 related stuff...I’m my own worst enemy 😂

Missouri Picker has/had one and seemed to like it. (Maybe this will bring him out of retirement?)

I haven’t played one, but I love the body style and the look. Probably heavier than the maples. Let us know if you get to try one-I’d love a lab report!

Played a few. Nice, even tone, but lacking bite. Reminds of me the J-185, sort of there ... but not quite.

The J-185 is my all-around favorite for fingerpicking. Lots of punch, balance, & depth, along with an ideally comfortable shape & size. All of that, and short-scale, too!

But we've had this conversation before - finding a good one is the key, and I'd imagine the same will hold true of the SJ-100 Walnut.

Hi all,

This is an iteration on the super jumbo that intrigues me...sort of similar to an overgrown J15!

This is just what I was thinking with the your-basic mahogany J-100, in terms of it maybe being like a hog J-45 on steroids. However, the larger body, and the scale length took it a bit too far away from that bloodline. Were you able to bounce a J-45 off of your '100 Reissue when you had it?

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but speaking of walnut guitars; does anyone have any insight as to why the J-15 wasn't just called a J-45 walnut? Not that it really matters, it's just an idle curiosity I've had. Looking at the specs a J-15 is a J-45 in almost every way. The bridge is a slightly different shape but other than the woods they used, it's the same body, same bracing, same scale length, etc...please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that. Anyway, the reason I ask is because I was surfing the Youtube recently when I found a video of a J-45 Walnut Avant Garde that looked just like a cutaway version of my J-15 (ok, ok, the pick guard was a different shape). So I googled it and it's a cutaway J-15...even costs the same as a J-15. That just got me wondering why they would market one as it's own model, and the other as a variation of the J-45. Again, it's not really important, I was just curious if anyone here might have any good guesses as to why that didn't just call the 15 a 45 walnut, or call the 45 walnut AG a 15 cutaway. Since they're priced the same, it doesn't seem like a marketing trick to overcharge or anything. It's just strange.

Links if you're interested in the compare/contrast.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2018-j-45-walnut-avant-garde-acoustic-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2018-j-15-walnut-burst-acoustic-electric-guitar

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but speaking of walnut guitars; does anyone have any insight as to why the J-15 wasn't just called a J-45 walnut? Not that it really matters, it's just an idle curiosity I've had. Looking at the specs a J-15 is a J-45 in almost every way. The bridge is a slightly different shape but other than the woods they used, it's the same body, same bracing, same scale length, etc...please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that. Anyway, the reason I ask is because I was surfing the Youtube recently when I found a video of a J-45 Walnut Avant Garde that looked just like a cutaway version of my J-15 (ok, ok, the pick guard was a different shape). So I googled it and it's a cutaway J-15...even costs the same as a J-15. That just got me wondering why they would market one as it's own model, and the other as a variation of the J-45. Again, it's not really important, I was just curious if anyone here might have any good guesses as to why that didn't just call the 15 a 45 walnut, or call the 45 walnut AG a 15 cutaway. Since they're priced the same, it doesn't seem like a marketing trick to overcharge or anything. It's just strange.

Links if you're interested in the compare/contrast.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2018-j-45-walnut-avant-garde-acoustic-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2018-j-15-walnut-burst-acoustic-electric-guitar

Because a J 45 has traditionally used rosewood board and bridge.

The J 15 is all north american woods so maybe to make that distinction they didn't call it J 45 Walnut.

The avant garde line has shallower sides than the traditional gibsons and also I think they have a 16 inch radius for ease of bending.Those two elements make it different from the J 15 or any other round shoulder guitar .

JC

J,

Larry did a review of his back in 2016.

Here it is:

JC

Love this, JC. “Truss rod cover says 2016 on it...I could care less if it said “kiss my ***” on it”!!

If I do end up with one of these, I’m going to get a truss rod cover with “kiss my ***” engraved on it in Larry’s honour!!

This is just what I was thinking with the your-basic mahogany J-100, in terms of it maybe being like a hog J-45 on steroids. However, the larger body, and the scale length took it a bit too far away from that bloodline. Were you able to bounce a J-45 off of your '100 Reissue when you had it?

Indeed I was-I have a J45 so was interested to compare the two. The 100 was a marginally brighter guitar with a touch more volume. I had to play it harder to get it to “compress” when strummed in the way that J45s do, due to the higher headroom it had-excellent for vocal accompaniment. It lacked a touch of the sweetness that a good J45 has when played fingerstyle, and was a bit less thumpy when flatpicked, but really excelled when strummed as it had a big, open sound with great note separation. Less brassy and bright than an SJ200. It sat in a sonic pocket which was good for solo work but also sat really well in a band mix.

It reminded me more of a D18 than a J45 in all honesty-the sort of guitar that when you hear it, it just sounds like a guitar, rather than making the listener think “ooh, that’s bright/bassy/huge/tiny/lush/dry”. Very effective, unfussy, useful and amenable. Wish I still owned it!

Archived