Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 Pickguard question

kidblast

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice.

I've noticed recently that one of the tips of the pick guard on my SJ200 lifts up a little. I just push it back into place, and it stays there for a while, but slowly lifts up again over a few days.

Not lifting a lot, just one spot, lifting off the top, a very small amount. I'm wondering if, overtime, the lift area grows larger.

any remedies? I would think the whole pick guard would need to be removed, some sort of safe adhesive reapplied. I know a service center close by that can probably do it, and I would almost have to think this would be a warranty claim?

any advice? for now, I'm just leaving it be until it starts to be more of a concern.

Edited by kidblast

Let me preface by saying I fear giving you wrong information, but I'll throw this out there anyways, as long as you wait for folks like hogeye to weigh in maybe, or some repair people. I would also ask this question of John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars, and I'd ask Taylor Mullins of Holter Pickguards (he is on facebook).

With that disclaimer out of the way....

Maybe you carefully remove the guard, use naptha to get the glue residue off the guard and the top, then heat it a little bit with a hair dryer so it softens some, put it under some big books for a few days, attach new double sides adhesive, and reattach.

thanks Sal! Sort of one of the options I was thinking.. Another is remove it, and NOT reattach it.

I'm not crazy about it anyway.

not in a hurry to get this sorted, as at the moment, the lift area is quite small.

so I have time on my side to get some ideas on where to go.

Yeah same as sal said

I had to put my pickguard in its correct place so I removed it , put some new 3m double sided sticky on it and put it back on . All with no drama. And I’m useless

People mention hairdryer all the time and yes it’ll soften the glue , but I was scared of putting heat onto one spot of a guitar like that so I just worked a ah with the naphtha and dental floss and it didn’t take long or much effort

thanks guys!!

Hall: yea.. I'm not thinking this lifting is something new and unusual.. I've read enough threads to assume this is a common nit. And this is my saame situation,

press it back down, just to make sure nothing "grabs" it like a shirt sleeve or something.. never know?!

Stu: if I take this thing off, and clean up the wood, I would probably not even reinstall it. unless the color fade was way too obvious.

We'll see how this develops I guess, but by all means, any other advice or suggestions are quite welcome!

/r

Another is remove it, and NOT reattach it.

I'm not crazy about it anyway.

How long have you had the SJ200? You'll most likely have a tan line where the pick guard covered the guitar.

If you haven't had the guitar long it may not be very noticeable and catch up in color over the summer.

If the tan line is really prominent it may never catch up to match the rest of the top.

I had this problem from Day 1 with my SJ200. Small lift, you couldn't slip a credit card under - at the tip of the curve around 5 o'clock as your looking at it. I tried a thin piece of dbl sided tape generously mailed to me by a former forum member. It wasn't strong enough, although I weighted it down with a couple of books for a couple of days. I am assuming the pg has a natural, built in curl. Shortly thereafter, I stopped noticing it, or thinking about it. Hope yours isn't so big that - as you said - you could catch a shirt sleeve on it. I was reluctant to try to peel up a portion to get some glue in there, not wanting to worsen the lift. And, while certainly a matter of individual taste - I would never permanently remove the iconic p'guard. G'Luck.

it's where the pickguard comes to a TIP beneath the sound hole. I don't think I could even slip a piece of double sided tap in there cleanly enough to address it.

So yea, it sounds like you had the same problem.

About the PG, I would not remove it unless for some reason I had to. but once removed, I am really not sure I'd hassle with reapplying. you are right tho,, it is something that a J200 wouldn't look right without.

it's where the pickguard comes to a TIP beneath the sound hole. I don't think I could even slip a piece of double sided tap in there cleanly enough to address it.

So yea, it sounds like you had the same problem.

About the PG, I would not remove it unless for some reason I had to. but once removed, I am really not sure I'd hassle with reapplying. you are right tho,, it is something that a J200 wouldn't look right without.

Yep. My lift, you could barely slip a piece of paper under it. I tried to address it early on mostly out of fear ti would get worse. It never did. It never even 'grabs' at a polishing cloth, or anything. Love it and leave it!

• 3 months later...

^-- yep! that's the conclusion I'm reaching after posting this thread and reading the responses so far.

i had my J185 in the closet for like 3 months, and yesterday i wanted to play it and the WHOLE pickguard was off, the whole damn thing...i was in shock this is a 1-2 year old guitar i dont think this should happen, i put it back in place and it glued back, but i dont know for how long :s

Edited by FemmeParallell

Just something you might try..........When my Hummingbird was brand new, the pickguard ("son of flubber" material) would raise-up some on one edge near the sound hole. I'd push it back down, but after a couple days I'd notice it again. So I bought a plastic clamp and clamped it down for a couple days and its never raised-up again. I hope your issue is as simple to solve.

• Upvote 1

Just something you might try..........When my Hummingbird was brand new, the pickguard ("son of flubber" material) would raise-up some on one edge near the sound hole. I'd push it back down, but after a couple days I'd notice it again. So I bought a plastic clamp and clamped it down for a couple days and its never raised-up again. I hope your issue is as simple to solve.

hey Larry!

It does pull up still but it's not getting any worse. I appreciate the advise, and just may have to give it a try!

thx Bud!

On my J45 - the very pointy part of my pick guard under the sound hole is coming up just barely, and does catch on a cloth if I'm cleaning it etc... was going to take it to a luthier to deal with, but there's a couple of tricks in this thread I may try.

Kid, I had the same type of problem with my Hummingbird. I would stick it down, it would come up. After dealing with this for longer than I wanted to I finally decided to take my guitar to my trusty techs at Hoffman Guitars in Minneapolis. Only an hour away and they do all my work on my guitars. I showed them the problem, they fixed it, it has never happened again, and I have the peace of mind of having it done right. Sure it cost a few bucks to have it done but to me those dollars bought peace of mind. Just another solution on the subject. Good luck. Love my J200 too!

I would guess that they want to make sure th adhesive isn't so strong the pickguards can't be removed without damaging the finish or the wood. So, they may feel it's safer to have a 2% failure rate on the conservative side of an occasional corner lifting, as opposed to 2% of the faces being ruined.

thanks Sal! Sort of one of the options I was thinking.. Another is remove it, and NOT reattach it.

I've heard a few folks mention removing their pick guards. Do you use the guitar for mostly / strictly finger picking? If not, isn't there a concern of the pick wearing down / scratching up the front of the guitar? I love the look without them, but do feel they're functional.

I guess that's the thing, I have a Taylor without a pickguard, and there's a little wear around the sound hole I finger pick quite a lot so there is not a lot of surface stuff.

But for a heavy picker, should not consider removing, we've seen examples, definitely a good way to protect the top and sound hole region.

I've heard a few folks mention removing their pick guards. Do you use the guitar for mostly / strictly finger picking? If not, isn't there a concern of the pick wearing down / scratching up the front of the guitar? I love the look without them, but do feel they're functional.

Google Willie Nelson Trigger