Gibson Brands Forums

New (used 2017) LP arrived today - question on shipping and the finish

EddieNYC

I bought the guitar (super excited) from someone in California and after close to a week of ground shipping it was delivered today. When I bought my J-45 and Humminbirds new I know that I let the box sit In my house for about 24 hours before opening it per Sweetwater’s instruction. With a solid body Les Paul do I need to do that too? I’m not sure if it’s a nitrous issue or that the think wood on the acoustic reacts different that can impact the finish.

My priority is clearly protecting the finish but i’d Clearly love to open it as soon as it’s safe to do so. It came from Southern California and I live in the Northeast where it’s been about 30-45 degrees outside.

Thanks!

Mike

I just saw the box and there is a tear in it so the blankets or whatever was used to pack it were exposed so it wasn’t as completely as sealed as I would have liked. I hope that doesn’t hurt it. Either way i’ll Wake up tomorrow morning and take the box out of the case and let that sit until at least 24 hours before opening that up to see it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mike

I had my Fender Strat for about 17 years (my only electric) but stopped playing it about a year again when I started getting into the new Gibson acoustics and really like the short scale and the feel. When I tried to moved back to electric it just felt so different from the Gibson’s. I’m pretty pumped about opening it up tomorrow, throwing on a nice coat of Gibson polish, putting on a fresh set of strings, and plugging it in!

Thanks!

Mike

I feel bad detailing my own tooic, but the stock strings on this are 9-46 and when the seller bought it a few months ago he had the store put on fresh 9-42s before he left since that’s what they had. I plan on going back to the stock 9-46 as soon as I open it. I shouldn’t really need to have it RE-setup just for that right? He wasn’t sure that they did anything to it other than swapping the strings.

Mike

I feel bad detailing my own tooic, but the stock strings on this are 9-46 and when the seller bought it a few months ago he had the store put on fresh 9-42s before he left since that's what they had. I plan on going back to the stock 9-46 as soon as I open it. I shouldn't really need to have it RE-setup just for that right? He wasn't sure that they did anything to it other than swapping the strings.

Mike

No worries, Mike. Nothing to feel bad about. As far as the strings go, I really doubt that anything would have been modified to accomodate the different string size. There would be no reason to. Have fun today!

Archived