Gibson Brands Forums

New (used 2017) LP arrived today - question on shipping and the finish

EddieNYC

I bought the guitar (super excited) from someone in California and after close to a week of ground shipping it was delivered today. When I bought my J-45 and Humminbirds new I know that I let the box sit In my house for about 24 hours before opening it per Sweetwater’s instruction. With a solid body Les Paul do I need to do that too? I’m not sure if it’s a nitrous issue or that the think wood on the acoustic reacts different that can impact the finish.

My priority is clearly protecting the finish but i’d Clearly love to open it as soon as it’s safe to do so. It came from Southern California and I live in the Northeast where it’s been about 30-45 degrees outside.

Thanks!

Mike

It arrived at 12pm and my plan was to take it out of the shipping box (but in case) when I get home around midnight tonight, or take it out of the box tomorrow morning and then let the case sit until around lunch time tomorrow (another nor’easter so working from home) before opening it. That would be about 24 hours. I don’t want to do anything stupid. Should that be ok or let it sit until tomorrow night?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

A few hours should be enough, and let the room in which you unpack the guitar heat up slowly.

See also here, it happens if you immediately open the case after you have been outside in the cold:

My instrument has small cracks in the finish – what causes this? Is it covered under the warranty?

This is known as 'finish checking'. This is a result of the instrument being subjected to a rapid change in temperature or humidity. In most cases it happens in winter when a chilled instrument is exposed to warm air. The cracks are a result of the wood expanding faster than the lacquer. Since we have no control over the environmental conditions surrounding the use of the instrument we cannot cover this type of situation under our warranty.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

Archived