Gibson Brands Forums

NGD J-35

NJ Tom

I'm the guy who was asking questions about J-45 price swings, and a J-45 with a bridge mate installed. Thanks to all for the advice.

I ended up getting a used 2013 J-35....the price was much more agreeable than the J-45, although I sure would have liked a sunburst guitar. Maybe next time.

Anyway, I'm what you might call a re-beginner. I didn't pick up a guitar until age 52, took some lessons, had some nice guitars...a few Martins including a D-18 and others...but lost interest after several years. I never got too far past the "I suck-at-this" stage. And now in my Medicare and retirement years the bug bit me again. I almost pulled the trigger on an all 'hog 2001 Martin D-17, but having never owned a Gibson I began to investigate. I remembered how comfy my Epiphone Masterbilt J-45 copy felt while sitting as I attempted to play, so a slope shouldered dread was high on my list.

The J-35 arrived this afternoon. It's a stunning looking instrument in all it's 'plain-ness' The mahogany grain is gorgeous and I love the reddish-orange stain. It appears there is very little wear, and just a few slight scuffs on the back, nothing I can't live with. I never played a short-scale prior, but it feels very comfortable and the neck seems just right for my hand. And it's LOUD. I ran through a couple of chords and some simple strumming and I liked it immediately. It'll take a little time before I get the callouses back though.

Couldn't leave well enough alone though. I found a set of antique white, plain bone bridge pins that I once had on a Martin and yanked the plastic ones from the Gibson. I don't know if there's a difference in sound, but they sure look nice on the J-35.

This is a pretty cool guitar...hope I can stick with it this time.

Enjoy it Tom. Hope the action is nice and low, because hand tiredness and fingertip callousing is one of the early hurdles. I recommend buying a nice capo to allow you an even easier fretting experience for when you start getting tired or sore. As you know, the more time you put in the better you play.

Welcome to the party! 35s are definitely a different Gibson than a 45. I've played two and both were incredibly loud and raucous instruments. Enjoy!

Not being real familiar with Gibsons, what makes a 45 different than a 35 other than cosmetics?

Admittedly I have little experience skill-wise but in my short tenure previous to this 're-beginning' I became very familiar with Martins (I live fairly close to Nazareth and have visited the factory many, many times). I learned enough about them to understand differences in construction, woods, and styles, and really prefer the sound of mahogany more than other tone-woods, hence the J-35. In fact, the J-35 tone reminds me a bit of the D-18 I once owned...and both are very light and loud.

Not being real familiar with Gibsons, what makes a 45 different than a 35 other than cosmetics?

Admittedly I have little experience skill-wise but in my short tenure previous to this 're-beginning' I became very familiar with Martins (I live fairly close to Nazareth and have visited the factory many, many times). I learned enough about them to understand differences in construction, woods, and styles, and really prefer the sound of mahogany more than other tone-woods, hence the J-35. In fact, the J-35 tone reminds me a bit of the D-18 I once owned...and both are very light and loud.

The biggest difference is the bracing pattern. A J 45 has a standard X brace, and a J 35 has the wider advanced brace. The wider advanced brace pattern leaves the bottom bout opened a little wider. Enjoy your J 35, they are awesome!

Congrats. When I retired I figured I would finally have time and be able to accept the offers to back singers, do some sitting in with bands and such. Problem is that the powers that be seem intent on keeping me doing what I used to do for a living. Now that I do it for free I seem to be busier than I was while working.

But enjoy yourself. If nothing else a new guitar can inspire to sit down and play.

The biggest difference is the bracing pattern. A J 45 has a standard X brace, and a J 35 has the wider advanced brace. The wider advanced brace pattern leaves the bottom bout opened a little wider. Enjoy your J 35, they are awesome!

As far as I know, Gibson does not shift the bracing forward on either of its two standard bracing patterns. That is more of a Martin trademark. But yeah, the J-35 does share the wide angle bracing, longer bridge plate, and lighter first brace above the soundhole with the J-45TV and AJ.

Congrats !!!

As far as the differences - the main one is the bracing. Most of the rest are cosmetic, with the J45 being a little nicer.

The attached youtube explains it very well. J35 more base, J45 more midrange. Very different sound. Nuances aren't subtle.

Congrats !!!

As far as the differences - the main one is the bracing. Most of the rest are cosmetic, with the J45 being a little nicer.

The attached youtube explains it very well. J35 more base, J45 more midrange. Very different sound. Nuances aren't subtle.

Nuances or nuisances ?

Archived