Gibson Brands Forums

circle around tuner post on a Les Paul

EddieNYC

I just got a 2017 Les Paul from someone and while I love everything about the guitar, one thing makes more worry a little. Around the G tuner post there is a light circle about 1/2 inch outside of it all the way around, and I can’t tell if it is under the nitro or through it. I recall seeing SG pics where this big circle has no finish. Is this common and does it always mean that the finish will come out? I love the guitar and I got a great trade on it, but I’d had for the circle to be a ticking time bomb.

Mike

strange,,, it almost looks like some one used a very thick socket ratchet to secure the nut... and if that's the case, that person should not be allowed around a tool box when working on a guitar.

you could try some Scratch X to maybe buff some of that down, but that stuff usually only works really good on a nitro surface.

strange,,, it almost looks like some one used a very thick socket ratchet to secure the nut... and if that's the case, that person should not be allowed around a tool box when working on a guitar.

you could try some Scratch X to maybe buff some of that down, but that stuff usually only works really good on a nitro surface.

But I can’t think of any socket that would extend out that far from the nut/bolt that it is tightening. And it’s slightly deeper on the side where the headstock dips down. I’ve seen pics of this before on SGs where it is missing nitro in precise circles around the peg, but never on an LP.

Probably where it was hung to dry, early on.

rct

If that’s the case and the nitrous was sprayed over it hopefully it will stay on. It seems more likely that if it was overtightened there would be cracks and more likely to come apart. Honestly i just can’t tell from running my finger over it. I traded my old (killer Strat) for this and got what I thought was a great deal on this so I’m torn on what to do now before it gets too late. The description was “Mint” and I don’t think the seller tried to pull a fast one. He bought it a few months ago and decided he really wanted to stick with strats but it was too late. I didn’t notice it until I changed the strings right when I got it yesterday, and he had never changed the strings since picking it up from Sam Ash. I wonder if Gibson would let a guitar out of their factory with that around a tuning peg. My gut says no but I really don’t know. I know they’re all different......

I’d hate to have something that will clearly just deteriorate, or no one else would touch because of it. I just haven’t seen this before so I’m trying to figure it out. This aside, it’s an amazing guitar and I’m pumped to have a LP to compliment the J-45 and Hummingbird!

Mike

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't recall how many times I've looked at black veneered Gibson headstocks in the right light angle and seen that. It's just from hanging it or a tool mark while the paint was still a bit wet.

rct

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't recall how many times I've looked at black veneered Gibson headstocks in the right light angle and seen that. It's just from hanging it or a tool mark while the paint was still a bit wet.

rct

Thanks for all of the time and the feedback - I really appreciate the help. The only other 2 questions I’d ask are: 1) considering it looks a little depressed into the wood above the tuning peg and maybe just a circle in the finish on the neck side of the tuning peg, does that change anything? And 2) was the finish still fine on those ones that you’ve seen? I can definitely feel a little ridge on the circle.

THANKS AGAIN! I really hope that I should be thinking of this as a non-event because the rest of the guitar is amazing. I can’t believe I finally own one of these. It’s an amazing guitar.

Mike

The hanging probably caused a slight depression in the wood that a human might not even see but the finish on that front does see.

I don't recall seeing circles of missing paint on Les Pauls. Wings splitting off don't even mess up the paint much usually.

I'm sure there are hundreds of dramatic horror stories about this all over the internet and I'm completely wrong, but again, I truly wouldn't not worry about that at all on a great Les Paul, it isn't worth thinking about.

Besides, if you could see some of the Grover jobs I've done on Gibsons and how they all lived just fine, you'd be ok with that little circle!

rct

My first reaction is that somebody left the string hanging out and tuned the guitar and the tip of the string scratched the finish.

By the way, nitro is fully repairable, that line can be easily sanded off or if too deep it can be filled in and then sanded off.

I mean I just got done refinishing a headstock after inalying stuff in it and I am not a luthier.

My first reaction is that somebody left the string hanging out and tuned the guitar and the tip of the string scratched the finish.

Yes. I've done that. If you aren't careful, the string can bend down as it exits the hole in the post.

By the way, nitro is fully repairable, that line can be easily sanded off or if too deep it can be filled in and then sanded off.

I mean I just got done refinishing a headstock after inalying stuff in it and I am not a luthier.

If I get this repaired:

1) with the normal local luthier have the same nitro finish that Gibson uses?

2) how long will it take Gibson to do the work if I want to play it safe and go that route?

If I get this repaired:

1) with the normal local luthier have the same nitro finish that Gibson uses?

2) how long will it take Gibson to do the work if I want to play it safe and go that route?

Gibson does not warrant the finish in any way. Good luck with that.

rct

Gibson will want you to deal with the dealer.. not them direct unless you're like Keith Urban or Joe Bonamassa..

put some belt buckle rash on the back of the body. put some pick scrapes on the front.. and don't worry about that little circle.

(lets take a walk around your car and look at dents scrapes and rust.. they cost more than the average users guitar here )

Gibson will want you to deal with the dealer.. not them direct unless you're like Keith Urban or Joe Bonamassa..

put some belt buckle rash on the back of the body. put some pick scrapes on the front.. and don't worry about that little circle.

(lets take a walk around your car and look at dents scrapes and rust.. they cost more than the average users guitar here )

The old Volvo is no Les Paul though!!! I hear you, though.

Archived