Gibson Brands Forums

Dove neck spec change

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

I always assumed the dove had a maple neck since it's inception ...Only I short while back did I learn they were actually mahogany originally.

So my question is what year did the change come about?

I know it wasn't a new year/ new spec kind of deal back in the old days .Even when the company changed stuff up they still had to use up old parts but I am curious for an approximate time frame.

Thanks

JC

Folks,

I always assumed the dove had a maple neck since it's inception ...Only I short while back did I learn they were actually mahogany originally.

So my question is what year did the change come about?

I know it wasn't a new year/ new spec kind of deal back in the old days .Even when the company changed stuff up they still had to use up old parts but I am curious for an approximate time frame.

Thanks

JC

No one willing to jump in here?

Ok,I will. As you already know thee would not be a definite time and date just a gradual phase in as present stock Mahogany necks would be used until they were finished with their present inventory. New Maple necks would be phased in as they came out of production. The time period of the cross over was the last quarter of 1970 and was probably complete in the first quarter of 1971. I know. I know. As soon as I wrote this there will be a guy come out and tell us he has a mahogany neck from the second quarter of '71. It's all part of the fun of keeping track of the "Gibson Magic".

No one willing to jump in here?

Ok,I will. As you already know thee would not be a definite time and date just a gradual phase in as present stock Mahogany necks would be used until they were finished with their present inventory. New Maple necks would be phased in as they came out of production. The time period of the cross over was the last quarter of 1970 and was probably complete in the first quarter of 1971. I know. I know. As soon as I wrote this there will be a guy come out and tell us he has a mahogany neck from the second quarter of '71. It's all part of the fun of keeping track of the "Gibson Magic".

HG,

Could there have been a batch of maple necked Doves as early as 1968?

Here's an example of a maple necked version .

That has the screwed in pickguard, the "pantograph" logo and a 2 piece maple back:

Thanks for any opinion

JC

HG,

Could there have been a batch of maple necked Doves as early as 1968?

Here's an example of a maple necked version .

That has the screwed in pickguard, the "pantograph" logo and a 2 piece maple back:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xL4NRWUYc

Thanks for any opinion

JC

I remember most having maple necks and dark stain the late 60s to the early 80s there were 3 pc maple not including the wings.. Never seen a Mohagany necked Dove..

Archived