Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Swingster Blue Royale

Old_Ampeg_Guy

Hi All,

Returning to the forum after being away a few years. Just got an Emperor Swingster in the color I've been GASsing for since the Guitar Center and Musician's Friend Christmas sales. I decided to pull the trigger during the last day of the Musician's Friend "Shamrock" sale.

Swingster%20full%20flash_zpsr6cgoytp.jpg

Swingster%20under%20skylight_zpse4fij1fo.jpg

Mediocre cell pics, I know, but the second is under a skylight over the stairs and shows the finish reasonably well.

I love this thing.

Jon

I had a white one. Fun guitar to play, really nice sounding pickups. I eventually parted ways (this past December) after owning if for about 5 years.

Have fun with the playing and nice to have you back!

Thank you! It's good to be back! Those white ones are gorgeous, too.

This is my first fully hollow big box electric. It has a bit of fret buzz, but a bridge adjustment and possibly a truss rod tweak should take care of that.

Jon

Hey Jon

I had to spend quite a bit of time leveling the frets on that one. If you have a way to check it, (fret rocker or some other method) take a look.

Mine was WAY off in that regard. But was much better once it was addressed.

Incidentally, I found my Swingster to have really unusually large (Tall) frets. How does yours seem?

Hey Jon

I had to spend quite a bit of time leveling the frets on that one. If you have a way to check it, (fret rocker or some other method) take a look.

Mine was WAY off in that regard. But was much better once it was addressed.

Incidentally, I found my Swingster to have really unusually large (Tall) frets. How does yours seem?

Hey, Ray,

Yes the frets seem unusually tall on mine. I find they don't seem to affect playability. The time I've spent with it so far has been quite enjoyable!

I raised the bridge a bit and the fret buzz appears to have disappeared. I'll spend a bit more time checking it next week. It's probably time to invest in a few fret leveling tools from Stew-Mac, as I have some other guitars that could use that sort of attention.

Jon

Hi All,

Returning to the forum after being away a few years. Just got an Emperor Swingster in the color I've been GASsing for since the Guitar Center and Musician's Friend Christmas sales. I decided to pull the trigger during the last day of the Musician's Friend "Shamrock" sale.

Swingster%20full%20flash_zpsr6cgoytp.jpg

Swingster%20under%20skylight_zpse4fij1fo.jpg

Mediocre cell pics, I know, but the second is under a skylight over the stairs and shows the finish reasonably well.

I love this thing.

Jon

Jon, didn't mean to hi-jack your post. Welcome back, haven't seen that name in a while. Congrats on the new guitar, would love to see updated pics.

Major congrats! I've always loved the look of that guitar!

Wish I could see the pics.... msp_unsure.gif

Thanks, Cougar! It is beautiful in person.

What is up with Photobucket? That's new since I was last active on the forums (about 2013) and despite having posted them, I can't see them now either.

I'm hoping this 3rd Party Hosting thing is sporadic and gone more than it's here.

Jon

Jon, didn't mean to hi-jack your post. Welcome back, haven't seen that name in a while. Congrats on the new guitar, would love to see updated pics.

Thanks, tweed2! I lurked a bit but it's been around five years or more since I have spent any real time here. I'll post some more pics before long.

I like this thing so much I've vowed (so far) not to void the warranty on it like I have my other Epiphones I bought new! [biggrin]

Those are some fine looking guitars and amps you have there!

Jon

Thanks, tweed2! I lurked a bit but it's been around five years or more since I have spent any real time here. I'll post some more pics before long.

I like this thing so much I've vowed (so far) not to void the warranty on it like I have my other Epiphones I bought new! [biggrin]

Those are some fine looking guitars and amps you have there!

Jon

Why, thank you. Thant's actually not a current photo, several of those have moved on (in the great purge), to fund/make room for a new Tele.

What is up with Photobucket?

Photobucket started charging or something. Everybody had to find another "host." msp_mad.gif

....Thant's actually not a current photo, several of those have moved on....

What is that Guild dreadnought 12-string? Lot o' nice looking guitars there!

Photobucket started charging or something. Everybody had to find another "host." msp_mad.gif

What is that Guild dreadnought 12-string? Lot o' nice looking guitars there!

Yep, one of the GAD Chinese 12s. Really nice guitar, but I just didn't play it enough. Recently sold. First time I've been without an acoustic 12, in a long, long time.

About 6 months ago, I took stock of my collection, and if I hadn't played it much in the last 12 months, it was up for grabs. What I've referred to as the "great purge". I'll give it another 6 months, and do the same again. I'm hoping it encourages me to play more than I have been. New recent amp has got me playing more than I was. Too much space and money tied up in something that used to mean a lot to me. Bit of a reality check.

1521893379[/url]' post='1925734']

Not sure about Photobucket. I just uploaded 3 photos and was able to post them. One took a while of repeated copying and pasting before it could be viewed.

Never mind. All of my photos are now held for ransome by photobucket. Will find a new service and repost.

Hey, Ray,

It's probably time to invest in a few fret leveling tools from Stew-Mac, as I have some other guitars that could use that sort of attention.

Jon

there is a kit called BUZZ OFF, it's a pretty inexpensive way to easily address high frets.

...About 6 months ago, I took stock of my collection.... Too much space and money tied up in something that used to mean a lot to me. Bit of a reality check.

Same here. I sold a dozen guitars in the last year or so. But for me, I wanted to take the money I had in several inexpensive guitars and put it into a more expensive Gibson... or, as it turned out, Guild. I've still got some that don't get played much, but they're.... special. msp_blushing.gif

Same here. I sold a dozen guitars in the last year or so. But for me, I wanted to take the money I had in several inexpensive guitars and put it into a more expensive Gibson... or, as it turned out, Guild. I've still got some that don't get played much, but they're.... special. msp_blushing.gif

must be something that has been going around... I offed 4 guitars and one amp since last November. and I still have more guitars and amps than I could possibly need.

I think that I've figured out my problem, too much money left in PayPal. First the amp head (I missed EL84s and it matched so well...). Then there was the Special. Right color (it matched so well...), I hadn't had a guitar with humbuckers for years and the price seemed so reasonable. I'm thinking that as long as there's money in there, I'll find something to spend it on. Think I'll transfer it to the bank.

6r8dfN5m.jpg

Jr%20Sp_zpshscly0nn.jpg

those Peavey classics are sleepers.. Great sounding amps, no one really gets how good that series of amps is. My buddy had a 60 wat 4x12 combo. It sounded awesome.

the special looks right at home lounging among the fallen oak leaves... almost poetic..

those Peavey classics are sleepers.. Great sounding amps, no one really gets how good that series of amps is. My buddy had a 60 wat 4x12 combo. It sounded awesome.

the special looks right at home lounging among the fallen oak leaves... almost poetic..

I had a side business, back about 15 -20 years ago, building pine/real tweed enclosures for the Classic 20s and 30s. Good tubes, optional Weber speakers and the relocated chassis really produced a great amp. Here's the Revamp20 and Revamp30.

revamporiginals.jpg

I sold the kit templates to a retired guy in California, but kept the name. Still make a few for myself, like the blasphemous Acey Four.

IMG_3776_zpsfc56f537.jpg

Archived