Gibson Brands Forums

The Guitar Market

Epi1

Hi All,

Given recent news articles regarding the supposed demise of the guitar market, I wanted to share with you this news story currently featured on Epiphone.com.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/Features/2018/-Reports-of-My-Death-Are-Greatly-Exaggerated!”.aspx

Thanks,

Epiphone

Thanks for that.

Key quote:

“Talk of the death of the guitar is strictly misinformation,” commented Music Trades editor, Paul Majeski, “not based on fact at all.” Epiphone fans should also take note that the steady growth in acoustic and electric guitars sales in the $200-$1,250 range means that the House of Stathopoulo—as usual!—continues to address the trend we help start: giving professionals, aficionados, and beginners professional quality at a great price."

I've been hearing about the death of the guitar for at least 30 years now so I am sure Gibson (and Epiphone) will be around for a long time yet.

The problem is, we live in a world where there must be instant gratification, and a reset button. Learning to play an instrument, takes time, patience, and commitment. I used to teach, and out of every 10 kids that signed up for lessons, only about 1 or 2 showed any promise of putting the effort in. Easy to know who was practicing and who was not.

I started when I was around 8 or 9. didn't have playstations, or xboxes, home computers, internet.. cell phones were still decades away. You were either into playing sports and were acclimated to it, or you weren't. I was one of the "wernt's"

With all the distractions today? It's not hard to understand why there's been a change in the demographics.

Archived