Gibson Brands Forums

Another comparison video of my D-18 vs D-28 vs J-45 : Which one do you like best?

jackcooper

Well the strings are over almost two months old now from my last thread and I think all three of the guitars are sounding better now that all that new string zing is long gone:D

Here's a short clip doing some flatpicking on all three guitars (tried to keep the playing the same for each guitar, but got slightly distracted by someone walking past my window when playing the J-45 - if you wonder why I keep looking outside).

Which one do you think sounds the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl_caPaWaVc

Well the strings are over almost two months old now from my last thread and I think all three of the guitars are sounding better now that all that new string zing is long gone:D

Here's a short clip doing some flatpicking on all three guitars (tried to keep the playing the same for each guitar, but got slightly distracted by someone walking past my window when playing the J-45 - if you wonder why I keep looking outside).

Which one do you think sounds the best?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl_caPaWaVc

I wouldn't kick any of them out of the bed, but got to go with the J45

I'll say here what I wouldn't on any of the other forums this has been posted, that the J45 is a clear favorite of the three [thumbup] . I love the Martin smaller bodied models but have never connected with the Dreads. Owned a D28 for about a minute and keep trying the new D18s hoping to find the magic so many others talk about.

ReHello - Of the two Marts, I'll go for the mahogany. It seems to have more food'n'core and really wants to speak to us.

In fact I think it outshines the slope as well though it of course has that attractive drier Gibson 45-sound.

Especially the Marts seem to confirm the conventional thoughts'n'sayings 'bout the two types of wood.

Hog = Dry, woody and midrangy

Rose = Generally potent and outgoin' with an extra light in trebs'n'bass

Thanx for sharing this test with old steel. I really brings the guitars forward and clearly shows what splendid acoustics they all are.

The playing too is good and solid - you should continue to set up clips like this.

Enjoy your position (which only gets more intriguing by the fact the trio was born more or less within the same year).

This thread not approved by Hogeye! Stop it now! Everybody, except Hogeye, sucks anyway. Lol.

You really need to get a life.

This is the 4th or 5th post I've stumbled across where you have a one-liner slamming the same Forum Member.

If you don't like his posts, I suggest you learn how to block comments from specific members.

There was no doubt that my preference, in order, is this...

J45

D28

D18

I was thinking it's going to be hard to beat this D28 sound but then when you played the J45, I liked it even better.

I didn't care much for the D18 sound.

This is a terrific example of the character of these two guitars. The Martin is tight, focussed and woody where the J45 is open and wide-ranging with delicious bass tones. I think there is no "best" or "better" here. They are different flavours. Some people like vanilla, some chocolate!

Archived