Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify pickups in 1938 Gibson ES-150 customized !

sgim43

I have late 1930’s ES-150 that has had multiple alterations, including someone at one point adding a second pickup. Neither are original. In order to do this they made the tone control a volume so each pickup has volume only. I’d like a little more variance in tone so was thinking of replacing one of them with a P-90. The current neck pickup is a Gibson that says 2,737,842. I’m a newbie when it comes to pickups, as I’ve been an acoustic player only, and got this (and an Epi Century) not too far back to segue into electric.

So back to the pickups - I’ve read online confusing/conflicting info in similar posts regarding the patent pickup, someone saying the ones using this number I mentioned were made in the 70’s but did not go past the 80’s, someone else saying they were still putting them in different models in the 90’s and then users in blogs saying there’s many variations of this pickup all using this patient number on the back.

The second pickup is a Seymour Duncan. I do not see any other identifying information, so had no idea how to proceed. 

Both pickups look the same from the top, with nickel covers. Please see photos.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please see here for photos, as this site apparently has archaic upload limits and won't allow me to upload photos: http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/pickups-pickups-pickups/359350-help-identify-pickups-1938-gibson-es-150-customized.html

(actually... just having posted on another site I see the total size for my photos is well under 500KB, so I don't know why I get "file size to large" message)

Ultimately I guess I want to know advice on getting this to sound more versatile seeing as how I don't have tone controls and the two current humbuckers I don't really notice a difference. Although in addition to no tone controls I'm sure part of this is due to my years playing acoustic and not developing an ear when using passive pickups/humbuckers, as the seldom times I play amplified it's been with active pickups on acoustics.

So say if I pick up this P90...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-P-90...AAAOSwyTdaqsj4

It'd be okay to have it put in the neck position and the current Gibson moved to the bridge?

Maybe instead of a P90 a Charlie Christian replica?

I don't play jazz but perhaps a combo with a humbucker at the bridge could be interesting. I write my own songs, some songs played entirely picking and some just chords, and I play both finger style and with a pick depending on the song and what I'm going for. John Mayer and Dave Matthews are some of the bigger influences, but what's made me really start to get into playing this guitar (and the Epi) was James Bay, who plays on a 66' Epiphone Century Hollowbody (as well as ES-335's).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Archived