Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul High Performance Love Thread

Sabredog

I posted in the "I'm Disappointed" thread, but I thought I would update this thread. My new LP Standard HP arrived about an hour ago. I haven't been able to play it yet as I had it delivered to my office and though my wife doesn't believe it, I actually do work. It's beautiful looking and the aluminum case is built like a tank and weighs about the same as one. The inspection card lists it as a H2 model. It has locking grovers, Richlite fb, upgraded flame top. So for the same price as a regular HP and heavily discounted, I feel like I made out pretty good. I get to take it to band practice on Tuesday. That will be the real litmus test. I'm still considering getting a Gforce tuner system to use with the band and make alt tuning a little easier. I know that is opposite of what most guys do. One thing I thought was funny is that the photo that Gibson sends of the guitar on the inspection bench shows they use a Bandit 12 amp for testing. Does Gibson own Peavey?

Apologies for the drastic edidting of your post, Drew, but taking some points in order;

...My new LP Standard HP arrived about an hour ago...

...It has locking grovers, Richlite fb, upgraded flame top...

...I get to take it to band practice on Tuesday...

...I'm still considering getting a Gforce tuner system to use with the band and make alt tuning a little easier...

...Does Gibson own Peavey?...

Beautiful Instrument! Congrats!

I've played several guitars with Richlite (and also Hagstrom's Richlite equivalent) and, although I'm a Luddite, I really liked it/them. VERY ebony-esque IMO.

Looking forward to reading about your verdict!

From the reports I've read over the years written by those who have used them the Min-E-Tune and G-Force systems would be perfect for your needs.

Good question! I just had a google and they still seem to be an independently owned business.

Pip.

Thank you pippy. I've managed to get in about an hours worth of play time. Here's a couple things I noticed:

The Grover tuners are very smooth and accurate.

The pups are pretty hot. They sound really good. Very full and no ice pick on the bridge, but they push my normal amp settings a little more than I like. My main rig is a Helix. I create a separate patch for each song we do in my band. So I'm hoping I don't need to have a separate patch for using the LP. I'll need more time to figure that out.

The wide nut is a non issue right now. I'm not a thumb over the top player. I can't say it has any advantage or disadvantage at this point.

The Richlite board feels great and the guitar has a very nice acoustic tone, so I don't see any disadvantage from that.

I would have preferred medium frets, but I can live with the low frets till I wear them out. Then she'll get SS mediums.

I haven't dug into the dip switch settings and I'm not sure what they are set on now. But the tones I got when popping up the tone knobs was very usable. More so than the majority of split or tap settings I've used.

I wasn't going to get another LP, because I'm a light weight and they normally aren't. I planned on getting a new SG until I strapped a new '18 on and the head dove for the floor. This LP weighs 8.5#, which is the same as my Am Dlx Strat, so I'm good with that.

Because I didn't really need another guitar, especially one this nice, it was a bit of a stretch buying this. My honey do list will be long for the foreseeable future. But right now I'm feeling like I'm glad I went for it.

Except for one thing. That aluminum case. Man that thing is over kill. It's huge, it weighs a ton. I doubt I'll ever take it out of the house. I'll probably use a nice padded gig bag I have. But what the H am I gonna do with this coffin they sent me?

• 3 years later...

One great disadvantage of the HP line-up: electronics are not repairable

The tone pot for the neck pick-up has become unusable in my GLP Standard HP 2017 . Going down from max to min, it makes cracking sounds about half way, and from that point onwards tone maxes out again and does not change any more. It seems the pot is corroded or short-circuited at that point. Spraying electronic cleansing fluid was of no help. The pot needs to be replaced, but I was told by a local guitar repair person that it is embedded in a circuit and the whole electronics would need to be replaced. 

This is terrible. I bought the guitar brand new in 2017 in New York. Now living in Beijing, can't take back there. Has anyone experienced this and /or has any ideas how to solve this? Can one buy replacement electronics for this model? May be ditch the whole push/pull and deep switch HP thing and install a simple set up? I need to be able to use the tone control! 

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

/Carlos