Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 2018 J45

uncle fester

Hi all - I've been really quiet about it, so thought I'd bring everyone up to speed. I ordered a guitar about a week ago, received it yesterday - went through an agonizing wait to let it come up to temperature - and since then, I've been in guitar heaven! (FYP - I apologize in advance, I am going to ramble... :)

It's a 2018 J45 'vintage model'

I knew in specs what I wanted, but I also knew (because of my limited access to guitars, and personal trust in my newbie ear) I needed the help of someone in the know to make sure I got the sound I wanted... a huge shout out to Steve S and the crew at Wildwood guitars for working with me in this process. They gave me the comfort of being a trusted advisor (being my eyes and ears) knowing i wasn't able to get out there personally to try them out (also thanks to this forum for turning me onto them).

The guitar is beautiful, everything I could want... it is new, (for my first go I wanted something I wouldn't mind altering if required... (i.e. adding electronics, or putting on waverly open back tuners...) although I'm loving what it came with and current intentions are not to change a thing.

First impression is wow it's light, and BAM what a punch... but a manageable punch, meaning a huge dynamic range (from my view).

Sorry for the link, but wasn't able to figure out how to insert the video straight into the post. It's straight into my iPhone and uploaded to you tube - (does not do the guitar justice, but my computer with recording SW ran into an unfortunate demise... will post things better in the future) ... if you hang on long enough, it goes from an E jam to a G jam which I think is pretty cool ; )

=================

Because a picture is worth a thousand words... here's about 6000 words!

J45 Front

bgYVNdX.jpg?1

J45 Front Grain

Mv9yrqG.jpg?2

J45 Back Grain

dIn3voh.jpg?1

J45 Headstock Front

uCC7a66.jpg?1

J45 Headstock Back

GgMIpWj.jpg?1

The Whole Family

Iv6LDoc.jpg?1

I started looking at a Hummingbird Pro cutaway... and landed here. Just a start in my Gibson journey for sure, but a place I'm going to pause at for quite awhile. Thank you all for the input and advice (and just plain general fun). With all the financial turmoil going on in the industry, I am happy to just focus on a quality product - block the bad stuff out and appreciate the good. A happy lucky man... (with one kid going into the trades) I am! Rgds - billroy

Congratulations on landing one of Gibson's finer efforts in recent years! I absolutely love mine. I highly recommend trying Martin Retro strings......steel core, 100% nickel wrap (not plated like some others). They really bring out that Gibson 45 thump.......dry as a bone with a quick decay, last for months and months. In the end you may not like them, but they are certainly worth a test run. Waverly open backs are not a direct replacement......closely investigate all mounting dimensions before committing. As per my previous recommendation, a K&K PWM pickup works great in these, does not add significant weight, requires no battery and sounds solid. Besides the pickup, the only mod I've done on mine is changing the pick guard to a fire stripe.........looks good on this one, me thinks. Enjoy your new monster!

6qnQsXx.jpg

2016 Vintage and 2017 12 fret.....fine pair!

Congratulations on landing one of Gibson's finer efforts in recent years! I absolutely love mine. I highly recommend trying Martin Retro strings......steel core, 100% nickel wrap (not plated like some others). They really bring out that Gibson 45 thump.......dry as a bone with a quick decay, last for months and months. In the end you may not like them, but they are certainly worth a test run. Waverly open backs are not a direct replacement......closely investigate all mounting dimensions before committing. As per my previous recommendation, a K&K PWM pickup works great in these, does not add significant weight, requires no battery and sounds solid. Besides the pickup, the only mod I've done on mine is changing the pick guard to a fire stripe.........looks good on this one, me thinks. Enjoy your new monster!

6qnQsXx.jpg

I take it you would also recommend the retros for Southern Jumbo?

6qnQsXx.jpg

Thank you and will definitely try the martin retro strings. I've fallen for the curt mangan PB mediums on my guild, but feel they age quickly... all the rest, electronics, tuners, etc... will definitely investigate before I jump, but for sure not looking to make any changes right now ; )

ps: very nice looking pair you've got there as well ;)

There's nothing quite like a J-45'

Thanks and yes, I heard that said often, along with 'everyone should own a J45' many times on this forum... a I have to admit it's big part of the reason I ventured in this direction! Then I got to try a couple vs other makes - and well all of them said 'you want me', the J45 said 'you want me first!' ooooooooh!

Welcome to the club

You also own the world’s biggest banjo I see

You and murph had the same teacher

Lol:

•  
  • Worlds biggest banjo - yes I have big hands. (Really though, I'm not proficient, but it fills a need when I need a baseline)
  • Murph and I had the same teacher... it would take a comparison to SRV or RL Burnside to make me prouder - (Murph, I love every one of your videos I've seen, It's been awhile coming if you get a hankerin'?)

I take it you would also recommend the retros for Southern Jumbo?

Absolutely. As I mentioned, you may not like the tone......it is distinctly different from phosphor bronze or 80/20.......I think Retros are particularly well suited to mahogany instruments. Everyones' ear and playing style is unique. Nickel wrap works for me.

What is that white one with 4 strings. Looks Like a Korean instrument.

4 string white one... a banjo gifted to me by a non musical friend, my guess would be less than $250 and doubt it's American, and the frets were sharp enough to slice a finger - but I never would have tried a banjo if it wasn't for it, and I am still a guitar player - but I can get some fun sounds out of the banjo.

for Korean instruments - the black strat in the background, my wife got when she was in Korea... although with the squire headstock and a pickup configuration no one's ever seen before - i'm guessing its a knock off (but it plays!)

Thanks and yes, I heard that said often, along with 'everyone should own a J45' many times on this forum... a I have to admit it's big part of the reason I ventured in this direction!

I would go one step further and say everyone should own a mahogany body J-45. There was a time I never thought I would have to say that. The J-45 along with the Martin D-28 might just be the most iconic acoustics to ever to grace the planet. But for whatever reason, that Custom Shop decal annoys the heck out of me.

I would go one step further and say everyone should own a mahogany body J-45. There was a time I never thought I would have to say that. The J-45 along with the Martin D-28 might just be the most iconic acoustics to ever to grace the planet. But for whatever reason, that Custom Shop decal annoys the heck out of me.

Yes , whoever came up with that particular tattoo was on the drink the night before

I’ve one on mine , if I knew how to remove without making a balls of it all I would

Mines even brighter colours than bills

Archived