Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar with headstock repair

blindboygrunt

Would a headstock repair put many of you off buying a guitar ?

Have a look at this add and tell me what you all think ?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-j-200-historic-series-2007-model-case/1292037033?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Anyone with knowledge of foster guitarworks in South Africa chime in too ...

Can you play it grunt? If the sound is there, I'd look at it as a great way to get into a king's guitar on a servant's pay (ok maybe not a servant). Headstock repairs done right hold.... yup.

Resale difficult, as its a non starter for so many. But not for me with that guitar...

(nervrmind... you cant play it first... I see your post)

Can you play it grunt? If the sound is there, I'd look at it as a great way to get into a king's guitar on a servant's pay (ok maybe not a servant). Headstock repairs done right hold.... yup.

Resale difficult, as its a non starter for so many. But not for me with that guitar...

(nervrmind... you cant play it first... I see your post)

No Sal , I could go look at it

The repair was done in South Africa but the guitar is local to me

I’m assuming he’s a South African living here now.

Like you say - be probably the only way I could ever afford one of those beasts

I’d been looking at j15’s .... then this reared it’s head at me

Seems to me that quite a few folks have opined on the "headstock repair" issue and it boils down to price-point, due to the stigma of the break.I think the price would be the determining factor simply because of potential resale fear.Since you get to play it-you'll know if it speaks to you. Good hunting.

Sal is right. I’ve had these breaks many years ago (not my fault in either case!!) on an SJ200 and AJ, repaired they’re stronger than before the break and are no problem. That’s a great guitar at a great price, I’d grab that in a heartbeat!

Recognize that the headstock break de-values the guitar by 30-50%. The repair doesn't look particularly well done aesthetically, but may well be fine structurally.

By the way, the cost of that repair was about $150 USD.

Despite what the ad says, the guitar is stamped April of 2006.

I have one with a repaired headstock break. I’ve had it for about five years without issues.

That repair receipt is dated a year ago, right? That should be a good sign. Have you googled the luthier?

Good luck!

Lars

In general it’s of course harder to make invisible a headstock repair on a natural finish guitar...the two I have had repaired were both bursts, and after a shot of tinted lacquer to blow it in, both repairs were undetectable-obviously a lot harder to achieve with a natural finish guitar. I’ve seen a few natural SJ200s with neck repairs that have been covered up with tinting but I’d far rather take one like this than one with an ugly tinted join.

In general it’s of course harder to make invisible a headstock repair on a natural finish guitar...the two I have had repaired were both bursts, and after a shot of tinted lacquer to blow it in, both repairs were undetectable

This is why the guy at the guitar show has a little black light on the table.

rct

In general it’s of course harder to make invisible a headstock repair on a natural finish guitar...the two I have had repaired were both bursts, and after a shot of tinted lacquer to blow it in, both repairs were undetectable-obviously a lot harder to achieve with a natural finish guitar. I’ve seen a few natural SJ200s with neck repairs that have been covered up with tinting but I’d far rather take one like this than one with an ugly tinted join.

I have been known to cheat and apply a Gibson-esque stinger on the back of the headstock.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-j-200-historic-series-2007-model-case/1292037033?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

I would never buy a guitar with a headstock break without putting hands on. that said if the repair is done right, emphasis on DONE RIGHT, then it usually comes out stronger imho

Looks like a well done repair. I'd go for it, after seeing it in person of course to make sure everything is on the up and up.

As others have said, glue joints are stronger than the wood around them.

I have been known to cheat and apply a Gibson-esque stinger on the back of the headstock.

Exactly what I was thinking. Seeing the crack would bug me, so imho, a black stinger would be a nice compromise & would not look out of place on this guitar.

yes I would buy it

Archived