Gibson Brands Forums

Family Pictures

uncle fester

It may be awhile before I get unpacked.

The love of my life controls the to-do list and the guitars are not near the top.

Uakkk, , , what a flock. See how the cali-gali takes center.

But how about the darker brown pointing toward it - what color is the plush in there. . ?

Hope for green.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about your 19th Century banjos.

Tom, I'm having a nightmare about standing on stage with my J-45, trying to cut through a chorus of two dozen banjers.

I think I'm going to need my ES-335 and a BIG Marshall!

Damn you have a multiples of everything.

One wife -- a very good one though.

Actually I would say we only have one of anything. We were always out to collect sounds -- not instruments. We are fascinated by the sound pallet provided both historically and today by old American string instruments.

We got a lot of the banjos from flea markets pretty long ago, but we also got a bunch from the estate of a good friend -- so he found perhaps half of these. We did a lot of adventures with him -- auctions, flea markets, instrument shows -- even garage sales. It was something we could do cheaply in the early days -- and of course you could play the instruments.

Our old friend LOVED banjos -- and he loved to be around people who played them. He was President of the Southeastern Bluegrass Music Association for several years.

But he could not play at all! Whenever he found a new treasure, he would bring it over to us (and others too -- he knew everybody) and we would get it playable and tuned.

You can't make this stuff up -- no one would believe you.msp_biggrin.gif

Best,

-Tom

Tom, I'm having a nightmare about standing on stage with my J-45, trying to cut through a chorus of two dozen banjers.

I think I'm going to need my ES-335 and a BIG Marshall!

NO, no, no. Those 19th century banjos are not all that loud. Now later Gibson non-guitars -- not so much. I gave up playing J-45 with them years ago.msp_scared.gif

nvHM7a3.jpg.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Thanks to all for the posts... really appreciate folks sharing. I've got to say - I love my family, but seeing next to most of yours, well - we're a scrappy lot.

Here are my shout outs to the different posts:

•  
  • T-Sal: Nice guitars... nicest display case of all (is it humidified?)
  • Boyd and eMinor7: The triplet brothers (J50s and Hbirds, that's got to feel like winning the lottery!)
  • Rev Roy: I've got envy of your J45 burst - very nice
  • Buc M: Guitars are nice, even nicer - you got 2 thumbs up from my wife for interior decorating ; )
  • Zomby W: just ooooohhhhh... and your CF100e is being coveted ; )
  • Prairie Schooner: the music corner got top ranks... but are the dead animal skulls to ward off bad spirits
  • Alias P: Love the 'hanging' display... and of course, the guitars
  • Dave F: Is it less expensive to collect cases - must be easier to play?
  • Saul Good: It looks like that motorbike is in your living room with the guitars - makes perfect sense to me, but you've gotta have an understanding better half!
  • Murph: There's a les paul in that picture i'm sure... or where is it?
  • Pickypick: Thumbs up for the most patriotic display - makes me want to cook out and get ready for the 4th of July
  • Lars: For fear of insulting someone... I really like your kalamazoo, and you've got some nice green land there, looks beautiful

--------

and my #1 favorite: Mr Paul - for a family pic of guitars with an actual family member (son)

Again -thank you all for the posts - rgds billroy

Thanks to all for the posts... really appreciate folks sharing. I've got to say - I love my family, but seeing next to most of yours, well - we're a scrappy lot.

Here are my shout outs to the different posts:

• T-Sal: Nice guitars... nicest display case of all (is it humidified?)
  • Boyd and eMinor7: The triplet brothers (J50s and Hbirds, that's got to feel like winning the lottery!)
  • Rev Roy: I've got envy of your J45 burst - very nice
  • Buc M: Guitars are nice, even nicer - you got 2 thumbs up from my wife for interior decorating ; )
  • Zomby W: just ooooohhhhh... and your CF100e is being coveted ; )
  • Prairie Schooner: the music corner got top ranks... but are the dead animal skulls to ward off bad spirits
  • Alias P: Love the 'hanging' display... and of course, the guitars
  • Dave F: Is it less expensive to collect cases - must be easier to play?
  • Saul Good: It looks like that motorbike is in your living room with the guitars - makes perfect sense to me, but you've gotta have an understanding better half!
  • Murph: There's a les paul in that picture i'm sure... or where is it?
  • Pickypick: Thumbs up for the most patriotic display - makes me want to cook out and get ready for the 4th of July
  • Lars: For fear of insulting someone... I really like your kalamazoo, and you've got some nice green land there, looks beautiful

--------

and my #1 favorite: Mr Paul - for a family pic of guitars with an actual family member (son)

Again -thank you all for the posts - rgds billroy

I guess nothing I posted pleased you? I am so sorry. Perhaps these might be more acceptable.

Gibson Js -- 1935-1965

ixcesr2.jpg

1930s Martin Dreads

t4osk0G.jpg

1930s Martin Bursts

30MartinBursts.jpg

Antiques -- pre 1930

do4kBaJ.jpg

If I did more, I would just be showing off.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom - Lol, I was worried I had gushed over your stuff enough where any more and you'd accuse me of stalking you. One of my wishes would be a trip out your way and a days worth of time exploring my way through your house... PS - looking at these collections - I could say that of any of you.

I guess nothing I posted pleased you? I am so sorry. Perhaps these might be more acceptable.

Gibson Js -- 1935-1965

ixcesr2.jpg

1930s Martin Dreads

t4osk0G.jpg

If I did more, I would just be showing off.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Well, I've narrowed it down to these two photos. If I had my pick of just one guitar to taker home, I don't even know if it would be one of the Gibsons, or one of the Martins.

I'd take the Dove and the shade top martin.

JC

That's more than one, JC.

If I got two choices, it would be the AJ and one of the D-28 'bones. Between those two would be a tough call, but probably the AJ just because of rarity. Playing both might make me change my mind.

That's more than one, JC.

If I got two choices, it would be the AJ and one of the D-28 'bones. Between those two would be a tough call, but probably the AJ just because of rarity. Playing both might make me change my mind.

I don’t think I could chose. Just stand there shaking.

Thanks for the photos, people. Please, keep them coming.

(I did show the Better Half as a kind of self validating ‘look, I am fairly normal’ thing, but she nearly choked on her wine and said some of the collections reminded her of Oprah’s shoe closet! But, I said, guitars are for playing, not like wearing shoes. Got the silent look...) :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Tom - Lol, I was worried I had gushed over your stuff enough where any more and you'd accuse me of stalking you. One of my wishes would be a trip out your way and a days worth of time exploring my way through your house... PS - looking at these collections - I could say that of any of you.

I would be pleased to host you should the opportunity arise.

Best,

Tom

Archived