Gibson Brands Forums

Family Pictures

uncle fester

That's more than one, JC.

If I got two choices, it would be the AJ and one of the D-28 'bones. Between those two would be a tough call, but probably the AJ just because of rarity. Playing both might make me change my mind.

Actually that is pretty much where I would come down. Here are sort of the most iconic two -- 35 and 36. The D-28 is actually quite a bit more valuable -- but hey, what do they know.

We had the AJ out at a local high-end picking barn (I guess that is sort of an oxymoron) Saturday and it got play about five hours. These are generally knowledgeable and pro-grade pickers, and they are always suitable impressed. This is hillbilly country, and there are quite a few old Herringbones in this community and even an occasional D-45 -- but pretty much no other AJs. When I pass it to a hot young picker, it is amazing to see the effect.

In these situations it is always feast or famine. The old Herringbones are always spotted but the traditional bluegrass community is far less familiar with AJs visually

spotandaj.jpg

Best,

-Tom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be pleased to host you should the opportunity arise.

Best,

Tom

You should host a guitar camp. I'm sure there's a lot of us that would like to see your collection and possibly compare some of our stock.

I never get tired of seeing your guitars.

These are all wonderful pictures. But all I kept thinking was how in the world do you keep all these guitars humidified? Do you guys hire "gardeners" to water your guitars? I only have 2 and I get tired of filling up the Oasis in each once a week.

These are all wonderful pictures. But all I kept thinking was how in the world do you keep all these guitars humidified? Do you guys hire "gardeners" to water your guitars? I only have 2 and I get tired of filling up the Oasis in each once a week.

Well humidity is not such a big issue where we live, and we have humidity control on the HVAC for the whole house. We have a dehumidify in the guitar vault.

Best,

-Tom

Archived