Gibson Brands Forums

Family Pictures

uncle fester

Hi All,

I love a few things, playing my guitars, talking about my guitars... and seeing other folks awesome collections!

I posted the below pic on another thread (apologies for the repeat) but will put it again as a jump starter - it's what I refer to as my family pic.

My selfish request - does anyone have pictures of their collections, or parts of their collections they'd be willing to share. Of course I'd love to see all Gibby's or at least a Gibson as a center piece (note my brand new J45 in the middle!) but also very interested in any means you use to produce sound... as long as it's with clothing on.

Thanks in advance for any postings... :)

Rgds - billroy

Iv6LDoc.jpg?1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BR, nice "family" you got there.

@Tom We never tire of you stuff ! .Can I ask you to talk a bit about the specs on your Dove? [i have a thread open about the Dove neck material change,Feel free to post any info about your model there]

Here's a low-res photo of some of my "family" Including Mike and Jeremy from Fuller's Vintage Guitar.

IMG_8561_zpsaep4f7l3.png

JC

I think people are tired of seeing our old stuff. But I will try to oblige with some we seldom show.

1960s

60acoustics.jpg

Love your bass.

-Tom

No.. never get tired of looking at your Guitars... Sweet pieces..

Tom,

What's that 12-fretter in the lower right?

That is a 1968 Martin D-12-35 -- pimped out, re-braced, and converted to six string. Original conversion was done long ago by Randy Wood, and the guitar was owned (twice) and souped up by John Arnold. My wife plays finger style folk music on it.

dFw7snU.jpg

EpM1ui8.jpg

House of the Rising Sun

-Tom

BR, nice "family" you got there.

@Tom We never tire of you stuff ! .Can I ask you to talk a bit about the specs on your Dove? [i have a thread open about the Dove neck material change,Feel free to post any info about your model there]

Hi JC

It is a 1965 Dove. Tunamatic Bridge -- I have left it original.

CIJ2Kdi.jpg

cLU3kMh.jpg

Here's a low-res photo of some of my "family" Including Mike and Jeremy from Fuller's Vintage Guitar.

IMG_8561_zpsaep4f7l3.png

JC

Do you live in Houston? We are furnishing a guest house in my daughter's yard for extended visits. Because of that, we bought Mike Fuller's personal bass last month -- 1939 Kay S-51 5-string -- so my wife will have one to play bluegrass in Houston. Mike is totally cool.

Best,

-Tom

My Gibson family is small but I can only play one at a time and don't really need more. 1965 J-50, 1974 J-50 and 2008 J-50. I got the 1974 when it was new - my first acoustic. It's on long term loan to my son in law now.

j50family.jpg

How about a Murder of Bursts. Not all of the them because the Kay bass was the only one sitting there and I was too lazy to schlep them all to one place. But a nice sampling.

Those are beautiful... with a bass and a piano in the background, it's an event waiting to happen!

*is that cutaway a cf 100e and what do you think of it?

*and how about that f hole... what is the model, is it fully acoustic, and is it as fun to play as it looks?

Thanks for posting, sorry for peppering you with questions - only thing better than this would be a live show and tell!, rgds - billroy

Some interesting instruments you have there Billroy. I've got 9 Gibbys - of them 5 are acoustics. Here's the whole family -

Wow nothing wrong with that... ! Would love to just go down the aisle and play all of them, but my non Gibson envy comes with your strat top middle right... and your rickenbacker bottom middle left - I know exactly what songs i'd try to butcher on those!

Those are beautiful... with a bass and a piano in the background, it's an event waiting to happen!

*is that cutaway a cf 100e and what do you think of it?

*and how about that f hole... what is the model, is it fully acoustic, and is it as fun to play as it looks?

Thanks for posting, sorry for peppering you with questions - only thing better than this would be a live show and tell!, rgds - billroy

That is the room that turns into a picking parlor. You will also find a few ukes, fiddles, harmonicas, kazoos, and mandolins often lying around.

Like asking us to talk about our guitars is ever a problem. To me the CF-100s sound like the best of the LG-2/3 breed. A whole lot sexier looking though. The highs are thick and meaty with the typical Gibson saturated mids all the way up the neck. On the P-90 version, the soundhole is located further south which brings it closer to the intersection of the X brace. I think this causes the guitar to give up some volume when played unplugged but also gives it a bit more focused sound. Just a real punchy little guitar. I do find the neck a bit skimpy feeling for my taste so this one may not turn out to be a life long relationship.

The archtop is a 1935 Capital J2. Capital was one of Gibson's Depression-era brands built for Jenkins Music which I gather sold enough Gibsons to get their own house brand. It has the X braced "two hump" top with no truss rod and is virtually identical, other than the headstock, to a Kalamazoo or Cromwell. It has a big fat V neck which I just love to pieces. What I really like about the sound of this guitar is the closer you play to the bridge the more you get what I would describe as an electric guitar vibe. Just a sassy little gal. You are right in that it is fun as all get out to play.

Only a few of my Gibsons in this one. 1929 Nick Lucas on back of couch. Left to right, 1936 L-Century, 1904 A mandolin, (1920 Larson brothers Mauer 451)1943 SJ on far right on couch. 1943 L-50 on floor to right of Selmer style guitar.

976744_4915721244185_153380588_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6ec206d47bf8c36db06a166449ef10c0&oe=5B39984D

I recently acquired the 1967 Gibson SJ and haven't had an opportunity to get it into a group photo yet, but it will be the oldest one of the bunch.

I've always thought guitars made great group photos, they are all definitely unique, and beautiful things!

I also like looking at the back and sides... very intrigued by the beauty and properties of the different woods back there!

post-89253-013185900 1522113691_thumb.jpg

post-89253-091227700 1522113699_thumb.jpg

post-89253-011237100 1522114277_thumb.jpg

Archived