• You cannot reply to this topic

Need a Pickguard? HOLTER

#21 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

View PostThemisSal, on 04 April 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

None my brother. The guitar has a subdued mellow sound like old Dylan, or a Harmony even. The type of playing I do on it is never "driving the top". It is sweet and intimate, and I can't determine a sonic difference before and after. It just looks like I want it to.

I'll do a video later today (I am off work until tomorrow) comparing it to my J50.

Listened to the clips - sounds really good.
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42
Gibson J-35 Vintage

#22 User is offline   thegreatgumbino 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

I have two new pickguards on order with Taylor. My question for you folks is this. When removing the old pickguard from a Gibson, is there any deformation (not tan lines) to the finish under the original guard? I am replacing the teardrop on my SCSJ with a batwing, and the teardrop actually slips under the b & e strings whereas the batwings stop near flush with the e string under the sound hole. Don't want to create any issues by doing this swap.

#23 User is offline   duluthdan 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAspen, Colorado

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:22 AM

View Postthegreatgumbino, on 18 April 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

I have two new pickguards on order with Taylor. My question for you folks is this. When removing the old pickguard from a Gibson, is there any deformation (not tan lines) to the finish under the original guard? I am replacing the teardrop on my SCSJ with a batwing, and the teardrop actually slips under the b & e strings whereas the batwings stop near flush with the e string under the sound hole. Don't want to create any issues by doing this swap.

When my J-45 TV lost its guard there was no deformation of any kind - the sunburst was still perfect. There was an ever so slight line in the 9 year old guitar, but you really had to look. Posted Image
Smile Fierce !!!
Gibson J-45 TV (Lyric)
Gibson J-45 Legend
Gibson J-50 (K&K)
Martin D-35 (Trance)
Martin 000-42
Gibson J-35 Vintage

#24 User is offline   thegreatgumbino 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

View Postduluthdan, on 19 April 2018 - 06:22 AM, said:

When my J-45 TV lost its guard there was no deformation of any kind - the sunburst was still perfect. There was an ever so slight line in the 9 year old guitar, but you really had to look.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate it.

#25 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

I moved my pickguard about 5 years ago , making the guitar about 7 years old at the time
There was no marks left when it came off

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users