Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

OldGuitarPlayer

After a few days of surfing the local online buy & sell site looking for a cheap used LP Special or JR a lovely wine red LP Special II appeared for sale. Not a bad deal including a cheap well used gigbag and a couple of straps.

This particular guitar dates to 2008 and other than having to do a quick and easy action and truss rod adjustment it's in near mint shape with hardly any wear on the all black hardware.

It has a really nice feeling neck and a pretty heavy solid mahogany body. The pickups are nicely matched in volume and both controls and switch work perfectly. Right now I am playing it through a small practice amplifier and it sounds great!

I haven't had an electric guitar in a couple of years and for me this was a nice deal. I'm really happy with my purchase. :)

After a few days of surfing the local online buy & sell site looking for a cheap used LP Special or JR a lovely wine red LP Special II appeared for sale. Not a bad deal including a cheap well used gigbag and a couple of straps.

This particular guitar dates to 2008 and other than having to do a quick and easy action and truss rod adjustment it's in near mint shape with hardly any wear on the all black hardware.

It has a really nice feeling neck and a pretty heavy solid mahogany body. The pickups are nicely matched in volume and both controls and switch work perfectly. Right now I am playing it through a small practice amplifier and it sounds great!

I haven't had an electric guitar in a couple of years and for me this was a nice deal. I'm really happy with my purchase. :)

We would love to see some pictures, they always garner more responses. What are you using for an amp with that one, anyway?

I'd like to add pics but my camera was stolen recently in a break in of the apt I was living in at the time. I have sinced moved and am saving up for a new one. I am pretty sure most folks on this forum know what an Epi Special II looks like. ;)

Now that being said, after a string change to Ernie Ball Super Slinky's this guitar is really nice to play! I do find the pickups sound a little harsh but lowering them seems to help. I am thinking of some pickup upgrades already. ;) Also as to be expected the tuners are pretty cheap but they work. The guitar stays in tune pretty well even with a lot of string bending. I do like the black hardware. It really goes well with the wine red colour.

I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of this guitar. It's certainly worth modding.

For an amp I am using a tiny little generic practice amp with a 5-6 inch speaker. It works ok for clean tones but the overdrive is nasty and unusable. Eventually I will be also upgrading to a better amp. The Fender Champion 20 looks pretty good. I play mostly blues and jazz so I don't need a high gain amp.

I am pretty sure most folks on this forum know what an Epi Special II looks like. ;)

Ya, I've seen a lot of them, but they're still fun to look at. Sorry to hear about the camera, though.

Archived