Gibson Brands Forums

Will this string change require a new setup?

EddieNYC

I just got a 2017 Les Paul Standard and just had it setup with 9-46 Cleartone strings. I couldn’t get a clear answer from Gibson on what strings are stock on the 2017 (or other years for that matter) but have been told it could be either D’addario or Cleartones. Per the website i know they are 9-46 so that pretty much rules out most of the Gibson strings anyway. I’m trying to keep it as stock/factory as possible that’s why i picked the clear tones.

If there is a chance it could be the D’addarios I may try those too. If I go with the same 9-46 just with a different brand, should i get a new setup? I know the cleartones have a thin coating and i don’t know if the D’addarios that may come stock on the guitar are coated or not. If they are not, would that make it similar to a gauge change where it should be setup again too? I just don’t know if brand differences even in the same gauge strings will make a prior setup be ‘off’ for the new strings.

Mike

Does anyone actually know if the stock strings on a 2017 were the cleartones or Daddarios? Kind of mind boggling that Gibson customer service doesn’t know. Gibson acoustic gives you a spare set of what it is strung with in the case.

RCT is right,, it'll be fine.

Even you eventually decide to try 10s, I don't even believe the truss rod will notice the change.. slight perhaps but nothing drastic.

I've went from a hybrid 9-46 set to 10s, 9s and back, with no need to change a thing. Well, intonation, but that's because I'm super anal.

Changing to the same gauge strings by different manufacturers should not be a problem.

Look down the neck from the bridge end and see if the shadow of your strings on the frets is flat or curved compared to the string. Flat to a very slight curve toward the strings is usually good.

If you go from a hybrid 9 set to a standard 10 set it may not effect the guitar very much.

If you are going from a 9 thru 42 set to a 10 thru 46 set the effect on the neck may not be immediate. It may take a few days to set to the new amount of pressure on the truss rod, this can happen when each string in the set is heavier or lighter.

But with gauge change the thing is to watch your guitar for a few days and if you do need to make minor adjustments to the truss rod, do no more that a 1/4 turn, an 1/8 turn is safer and let it sit for a while. You do not want to over correct, when you are close, adjustments are very minimal and not always immediate.

Does anyone actually know if the stock strings on a 2017 were the cleartones or Daddarios? Kind of mind boggling that Gibson customer service doesn’t know. Gibson acoustic gives you a spare set of what it is strung with in the case.

Costumer Service is your best bet.

I know you'd probably like a straight answer, but honestly, I have about 20 guitars, 6 are Gibson's... I'm not sure how much any of it matters once you own it, and have it setup to your touch.

Strings all need to be replaced, it is more important to find what you like than what it was shipped with.

Bright Wires used to be the standard string, over the last several years. I heard they moved to clear tones recently too, but that wasn't from the source.

so who knows what they use from year to year. It's just a set of strings.... IMO it's neither here nor there really, in the grand scheme of it all.

I'd say go ahead and try some clear tones, if you like em, stick with them. I and many others here use D'Addario XLs on our gibbies. They sound great, last a reasonable amount of time, and cost about 10 bucks for a 3 pack. there are lots to chose from. Ernie Ball Cobalt's are a good alternative. Very responsive.. but very different in feel.

9 gauge, vs 10 gauge, isn't that much of a change in tension, at best a 1/4 turn on the truss to compensate the added tension is about all that is gonna be needed if moving from 9s to 10s

Gauge, brand, coated, non-coated,.. it's really something you'll need to sort out over the next 6 to 12 months. Embrace the adventure.

if you are dead set on knowing what it shipped with, just contact customer service.. they should know

Changing to the same gauge strings by different manufacturers should not be a problem.

Look down the neck from the bridge end and see if the shadow of your strings on the frets is flat or curved compared to the string. Flat to a very slight curve toward the strings is usually good.

If you go from a hybrid 9 set to a standard 10 set it may not effect the guitar very much.

If you are going from a 9 thru 42 set to a 10 thru 46 set the effect on the neck may not be immediate. It may take a few days to set to the new amount of pressure on the truss rod, this can happen when each string in the set is heavier or lighter.

But with gauge change the thing is to watch your guitar for a few days and if you do need to make minor adjustments to the truss rod, do no more that a 1/4 turn, an 1/8 turn is safer and let it sit for a while. You do not want to over correct, when you are close, adjustments are very minimal and not always immediate.

Thanks. I’m really liking the hybrid 9-46 and plan to stick with those. I just may try the Daddario since it seems that that was the other stock strings that’s gibson has been using.

I wasn’t sure if going from coated to non coated In the same gauge impacted anything.

Mike

Thanks. I’m really liking the hybrid 9-46 and plan to stick with those. I just may try the Daddario since it seems that that was the other stock strings that’s gibson has been using.

I wasn’t sure if going from coated to non coated In the same gauge impacted anything.

Mike

No. They measure up the same. So the coating will be measured in microns. Probably less than the tolerance measurement of the string.

Guest Farnsbarns

No. They measure up the same. So the coating will be measured in microns. Probably less than the tolerance measurement of the string.

According to their website it's 1 micron.

Not trying to troll... but you might be over thinking this whole thing. Strings are 100% personal preference. Just find what your like and adjust the setup to you desired and optimum setup. It's the standard process really..

Archived